Music Banter - View Single Post - Top 5 musicals.
Thread: Top 5 musicals.
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2011, 08:57 AM   #30 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desired_Moments View Post
Grease
Sound Of Music

Mary Poppins
Chitty Chitty bang bang
Phantom Of The Opera
My List:

The Sound of Music
Grease
Fiddler on the Roof
?
?

I'm not much of a fan of musicals. I saw "Phantom of the Opera" in London but don't care for this musical at all because it just seems, well, silly and very unlikely. And I definitely don't like the musical "Cats." In fact, I HATE "Cats." I find the musical boring and tedious. I am underwhelmed by all these adults dressed up as cats. "Oklahoma" is okay...trivial topic, though. "South Pacific" is okay, too. It has a few memorable, funny songs.

Three musicals I actually like are these:

(1) "The Sound of Music," damned as American kitsch by a German friend of mine, is my favorite musical of all. I love the dancing puppet scene, the song "Edelweiss," and many other songs. The one where the nun sings always bored me as a child, but I don't mind it now.

(2) I saw "Fiddler on the Roof" in a live production and loved that it had serious subject matter, so I was impressed. On the downside, I remember few songs.

(3) "Grease." I recently watched the original "Grease" movie after not having seen it for many years, and I still enjoy the movie despite now agreeing completely with my parents that it is full of anti-role models and bad messages such as this ridiculous one: "Get the guy by changing how you dress and by starting to smoke!"

As a child, though, I was sucked in by the characters, the storyline, and the catchy songs. How can one not like John Travolta's cuddly, hard, sweet, lecherous, emotional persona in this movie, even if he comes across mostly as a shallow but appealing jerk? Or Sandy's super sweet and sensitive but spunky personality? Sandy! She is just...so...CUTE!!!

Grease - "Summer Nights" -- I spent much of 5th grade singing this song, dreaming of the "exciting" high school years to come! I wanted to be Sandy/Olivia. I even started to wear my hair like hers, denying that was what I was doing when my friend teased me about it (but she was right):

Grease - "Hopelessly Devoted" -- pretty song and Olivia sings it so well!

Grease - "Greased Lightning" -- makes me want to be a car mechanic, and I hate cars.

If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"

Last edited by VEGANGELICA; 01-26-2011 at 09:03 AM.
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote