Music Banter - View Single Post - What Is It About Music That You Like? (Read first post!)
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2011, 02:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
The Abominable Homan
Music Addict

Favourite Genres
Oh god far too many and I like them all for different reasons, but for the purposes of this I'll use one of my favorites and something I've been listening to a lot of recently: harsh noise/power electronics/noisecore and the like.

What attracts me to music
Even within this subgenre I'd say there's enough variety to produce various reasons for liking different artists, but my favorite quality of a lot of it is the absolute catharsis achieved by a band like The Gerogerigegege. A lot of their music is basically just complete cacophony with unintelligible screaming. Most people can't tolerate the sound, but I love the.... rather pure emotional release, as I see it. Instruments Disorder would be the perfect example of this (and likely my favorite album ever), but it's not on Youtube. Still, here are some videos:

Are you attracted to the same musical qualities now as then?
Definitely not anymore... back then I largely listened to nothing but hip hop (which I still enjoy today). I've developed a much larger appreciation for various things in music that I previously didn't have.