Music Banter - View Single Post - What Is It About Music That You Like? (Read first post!)
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2011, 06:24 PM   #17 (permalink)
Hank The Drifter
Take it easy, but take it

Favourite 3 Genres
My absolute favorites? Country, Doom/Sludge, and Hardcore.

What attracts me to music
Many things attract me to music. I guess I am most likely attracted to these genres because they are some extremely emotional types of music, in my opinion.
Country music is often times depressing and sometimes the cliche 'my woman left me' lyrics are annoying. However, the musicians often times express genuine heartache in their songs. Two of my favorites are the best two examples I can think of, and anyone that's read any of my posts know who I'm talking about, Hank and Townes. So I think that's why I'm drawn to country music. Simply for passion that goes into it and its often times very simplistic music with good meaning and lyrics. Both of these men write songs that are so depressing yet they manage to slide a bit of comedy in there at times too. I think country music is a genre overlooked today because everyone assumes its made by 'stupid hillbillies'. --sorry rambling--lol--.
Sludge/Doom is a genre that is often times does a good job expressing themselves. Honestly, maybe I enjoy sludge so much because I'm an angsty teenager that's pissed off at the world most of the time, lol. I truly suppose that's why I do enjoy it in the way I do. I mean I think its good musically obviously or I wouldn't listen to it. More traditional doom metal sounding bands just create music that you know that are passionate about and love making because none of them are getting rich off of it. That's what makes music for me. So the sound once again appeals to me for whatever reason, I mean I don't know how to break it down that much, lol.
Hardcore is one of those genres that while there's tons of awful stuff there's enough good bands to go around and make it a worthwhile genre. I mean honestly the sludge I love so dearly would exist without hardcore. I'm not just talking about 80s stuff though, I'm also talking about these newer bands like Coke Bust. Once more though, these dudes make music because they enjoy it. They just make pissed off music that I think anyone looking for pissed off music can dig. I mean musically they aren't that talented, but they don't need to be this is hardcore.

**I could easily include blues and folk in this list. Also black metal to an extent, too.**

Are you attracted to the same musical qualities now as then?
I'm not into the same music as I was when I was a younger child, no. I think mostly because I am no longer listening to whatever my dad did, but listening to things I find on my own. By that I mean 11 and younger when I was listening to whatever my dad did rather than thinking for myself or whatever.