Music Banter - View Single Post - What Is It About Music That You Like? (Read first post!)
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2011, 09:47 PM   #24 (permalink)
zachsd
Music Addict

Favourite 3 Genres
Rock, Folk, Folk Rock, Country Rock, Indie Rock, Jazz, Classical (Bach, late Baroque), World (MPB, Malian), Hip-Hop

What attracts me to music
For me to really like a song, I have to connect with it emotionally on some level. It isn't necessarily a requirement for the music to evoke happy, sad, angry, or any other specific feeling, but just whatever I feel represents me. My lastfm shows a lot of depressing music (e.g. Neil Young, Townes van Zandt, Nick Drake), and there definitely is a reason for this. Embarrassingly enough, there are Neil Young songs I've actually cried to; these songs tend to be the songs I listen to the most.

Nick Drake - River Man. This song was really important in changing my outlook on life, at least I think it was. There are qualities to this song that evoke concepts from Buddhism and eastern philosophies which, in combination with other events going on at the time, led me to pursue a much simpler life and question the direction I was taking with my future.

Amadou and Mariam - Je Pense a Toi. This one of the greatest love songs ever written, in my opinion. I don't even know what the lyrics mean, it just has to be about love.

Bob Dylan - Ballad of a Thin Man (wonder how quickly Columbia will get this off youtube...). This really describes how I feel at times. Depressed, worthless, postmodern, etc.

Bill Evans - My Man is Gone Now. Just amazing, don't really know what else to say.

Are you attracted to the same musical qualities now as then?
Do you listen to music for the same reason as when you were a child? Or are you on a new path defined at some later stage in life?

I don't really feel like I've been an adult long enough to answer this question.

Quote:
Jazz is something else which I've been listening to a bit lately. In particular, Jaco Pastorius and Charles Mingus, two ****ing phenomenal bassists.

This is why I like jazz, which is probably apparent in my love for the other types of music I'm most into.
Yep, I've really been getting into Charles Mingus lately too. That man basses up a storm; his music makes me think of organized chaos, something that's pretty impossible to achieve (or at least seems like it would be). That might be why you like it so much, considering you are so into improv stuff.

Last edited by zachsd; 01-26-2011 at 09:57 PM.
zachsd is offline   Reply With Quote