Music Banter - View Single Post - What Is It About Music That You Like? (Read first post!)
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2011, 12:35 AM   #30 (permalink)
Zarko
Barely Disheveled Zombie

Favourite 3 Genres
Using as broadly defined genres as possible, probably looking at experimental, jazz and electronic. Though experimental is probably a bit too over the place as a definition, so the third would probably be hip hop.

What attracts me to music
Can't really pin it down to anything. My emotions don't really decide what I feel like listening to or anything like that. I guess it's just something I find interesting and enjoy. Although I hardly listen to it exclusively, I am always fascinated in experimental music in general, and funnily enough listening to the experimental side of things have often gotten me more into genres than listening to the 'easy' stuff first. Best example would probably be hip hop, where I've started enjoying a lot more of the mainstream type stuff after having been initiated by the experimental side of things. Not to say I enjoy one more than the other. I'm very specific in my tastes though (I'll know whether I like something or not from only a few songs), so it is often difficult to get suggestions from other people unfortunately.

Classic - The Church is one band I just can't seem to 'get over' and I keep on coming back. I saw them last month which helps no doubt. Priest = was my favourite for a long time, though I have moved to listening to Untitled 23 now as well as Seance. 23 is probably my favourite album of theirs atm.

Dead Can Dance, Amon Tobin, Nick Cave, all deserve a youtube vid, but they're easy enough to find online!

One of my favourite beatmakers at the moment. Mansbestfriend is an alternate performance name for Sole, anticon artist. The Opus is another (the producer for Rubberoom), Dabrye, DJ Krush, Sixtoo, POS all favourites.

Mainly into the chilled stuff for electronic music atm, but won't ever complain about Aphex Twin, Tobin being chucked on.

Just a rag tag chucked in that I listen to atm. Not really listening to a tonne of music atm, and if anyone cared to see what else I've listened to normally, my journal has mroe than enough examples.

Are you attracted to the same musical qualities now as then?
I didn't care about music at all until I was about 17 years old, so I'm only 5 years old . As far as I cared, music was for boredom over car drives. I still look at music the same way a tad though. Unless it is entertaining to me, I couldn't really give a damn about the nuances of the music, or its experimentalism. It's one of the reasons why I sorta carry the belief that suggesting you respect a musician whilst not enjoying them is an empty gesture.

Other than that I'm often jumping around from genre to genre in terms of what I'm enjoying at the moments. 5 months ago I had about 4-5 hip hop albums I actually cared about and now that has exploded massively to be probably my most listened genre atm. Before that I was in a huge electronic phase. I don't start disliking older genres I was into, I am just over them for the moment. Case in point, Nick Cave, who I haven't listened to for ages and don't really care to, but I would still class the Bad Seeds as one of my top few bands of all time.
Zarko is offline   Reply With Quote