Music Banter - View Single Post - The Bitch Box
Thread: The Bitch Box
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2011, 05:06 PM   #7079 (permalink)
Dirty
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I think we place more value on humans because we're humans. Pretty simple really. Lions undoubtedly place more value on lions.

But to your point about being worth more because we're smarter: Do you also value the lives of the mentally handicapped less than other people? Why or why not?
No I do not. I'm referring to humans VS non-humans, and mentally handicap are certainly people. I'm not talking about taking IQ tests or something. Maybe I could have phrased it better and just said that humans are capable of greater things. Some animals can certainly do awesome things that people can't, but our ability to understand and comprehend things at such a higher level than animals is why I consider humans more important. And like you said, I am a human so that is also why I value human life more than animals. Cause really, the betterment of humans is what I'm most concerned about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Your perception of panhandlers definitely sounds like a person who has never lived in the city. A lot of the time the guy asking for change on the corner is not the person you want to be giving money to, he's the asshole who was able to intimidate everyone else into giving up that corner. You'd be helping people in need a hell of a lot more by giving money to a homeless shelter than you would be by giving it to whatever random person on the street happens to ask you for it. And I think a lot of people do exactly that. I'm willing to bet far more people donate to or help out at homeless shelters than at animal shelters.
Probably, I don't know who volunteers where. I don't think I really passed any judgment on homeless and I'm not really arguing if the person begging for change is a good person or not. My point is just that when you see a homeless person begging, you can assume they are in need. And most people don't even want to spare their pocket change, which means hardly anything to your average person walking down the street.
Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote