Music Banter - View Single Post - Favorite Avant-garde/Experimental Guitarist(s)
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2011, 11:10 AM   #21 (permalink)
Mrd00d
Stoned and Jammin' Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
I haven't heard everything Buckethead has done. When I think of experimental guitar work I'm thinking along these lines

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb-GPdnfbyI (Keith Rowe)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWCbPuU-i4k (Lee Renaldo)

It's not like metal or prog or folk (nods to Fahey though) done weirder. It's totally in its own domain. From what I see from Buckethead, it's a hodgepodge of ideas thrown together with a lot of technical skill but even if it's short/ blended/ mixed and so on- show me something of his that is really in a different universe the way my picks are. But still there's another intangible, his music doesn't flip out my subconscience. Most of the 'experimental' stuff I like fills me with a deep sense of doom like seeing into my death. And I don't hate Buckethead, I get a kick out of him. But he doesn't have the power to leave me distorted and wrung out like Lee Renaldo and upset like I've been tripping too long and can't seem to shake it.
I caught them both. I see...

I feel like Buckethead explores those sounds that Rowe is exploring, using 2-3-4 finger stubbing and noodling. I found the whole operating table to be much, with all those instruments needed. It was intriguing, I'll give you that. But I believe the Buck wants to be able to make similar sounds without needing ALL the peripherals. He's got the cut-off switch on his guitar, and whichever pedals, sure.

It's nearly time for me to sleep, excuse my rambling.

I have trouble picking which KFC Skin Pile track to show you here, but this one seems to most remind me of Rowe's sounds:

after the samplefest that is... You could skip to 1:00 marker in the interest of time...

Mrd00d is offline   Reply With Quote