Music Banter - View Single Post - O Emperor - Hither Thither Album Review
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2011, 01:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
PoorOldPo
Blue Pill Oww

Default O Emperor - Hither Thither Album Review

O Emperor are an alternative/ folk/ rock band from Ireland heavily influenced by bands like radiohead, midlake, the Beatles, pink floyd and the beach boys.
All 5 members of the band can sing and sing well while playing their instruments.
Hither Thither was released in Ireland in Novermber and Will be released in the UK in May.
O Emperor on Myspace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

1. DON QUIXOTE

This song starts the album out with a bang. The song starts off with a twangy guitar intro and a backing acoustic guitar. I love the drum in this song and the singing and the chaotic melodies. The guitar and vocal melody during the chorus is beautiful and the strings compliment the guitar very well. This song is a great way to start off the album.

2. PO

Po is a bueatiful song lyrically as well as melodically. It keeps up with the same pace as the first song on this album but with a more melancholic tone. It speaks of an imaginary friend who has lost his job as said person gets older. The song ends well with a mind bending guitar solo and the dramatic closing line " You will have to wait in line for your social benefit "
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo2IwtYYdtY

3. SEDALIA

This song almost brings you into a new dimension on the album, it changes the tone, pace and atmosphere quickly. It is probably one of the most well written songs on hte album with influence from the beatles. Sang around the piano. The lyrics are very well written. This song is probably one of my favourite songs on the album.

4. TALONED AIR

This song changes the mood of the album once again. It is a much darker song than the first three. The song starts off quiet and then breaks out in a freak out jam at the end. The song is filled with emotion and anger at the event it is singing about.

5. HEISENBERG

My favourite O Emperor song. And my favourite song in the album. In the centre of the album almost, it defines it. this song is one of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard. The harmonies, voice, piano. This song is perfection, a masterpiece. I can't really say much more than that.

6. Don't Mind Me

One of the more poppy songs on the album. This song is chilled and blissed and the guitar and whistling really bring the mood of this song up.
This song isn't one of my favourites on the album, I am not sure why exactly as it is a great song but I prefer the others to it.

7. DECEMBER

I like this song, I like the solo at the end and the how the song is slow at the start and then gets faster and more dramatic. Not my favourite in the album but I still like it.

8. TO THE SEA

I love this song because of hte harmonies at the end and the structure of the song. I like the way the song changes in mood and key.

9. ALL WORKED OUT

This song is quite dark. I love the start and end, at the start the song is quite dream-like and slow, and towards the end the song explodes into an amazing all-band harmony with guitars blaring. I think this song is great. I also like the trumpets at the end.

10. Fat Lady Sings

This is probably my favourite O Emperor song along with Heisenberg. Every time I listen to it I get goosebumps. It is beautiful lyrically and musically. The vocals in this song are breathtaking and the lyrics speak of a detachment and isolation from modern society and reaching out for something else.

I love this song.

Hope you enjoyed my review.

Last edited by PoorOldPo; 01-30-2011 at 04:48 PM.
PoorOldPo is offline   Reply With Quote