Music Banter - View Single Post - Physical discipline against children .. okay or not?
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2011, 07:12 AM   #376 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Something that bugs me about the "I turned out okay" argument is that when people say/write it, it seems like what they mean is that they are functional members of society, so that means they turned out okay, right? But being a functional member of society doesn't require you to be a happy and confident person. And "okay", is that really where the bar should be?

It's also hard to judge oneself from inside one's own head and even if you did turn out well despite being punished, people are different. How do you know it's not gonna negatively affect your kid's quality of life in the long term? He or she is not you.

Children are like sponges, in the time of life when we are most absorbant to knowledge and stuff like morale. It's really not the time we should be teaching them that any kind of violence is okay and watching that video with that mom torturing her kid who already got the message just makes me really angry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
what would you suggest for the mental problem? seek therapy and drug your kid?
My first thought is the right diet and something to do to burn off energy. Diet studies show that what you eat can have a real strong effect on behaviour and so avoiding sugars, milk and wheat products f.ex could help. I'd like to try that before going to the doctor, because getting a diagnose may be labeling your kid in a way which is not good in that it changes the way people and even the kid views him/herself.

If you watch the dog whisperer, the first thing he does with trouble-dogs is take them for a walk, activate them a bit. I'm sure a variation/extension of the same technique can help with kids as well.

edit :

And there are parenting courses of course I would like to get one when/before I become a father.