Music Banter - View Single Post - Physical discipline against children .. okay or not?
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2011, 08:44 AM   #380 (permalink)
s_k
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
I'd like to try that before going to the doctor, because getting a diagnose may be labeling your kid in a way which is not good in that it changes the way people and even the kid views him/herself.
You know, I see where you come from and you have a point.
I'm not sure what it's like overthere, but overhere it's best to get a diagnose as soon as possible. Even if it's a diagnose for sugar-sensitivity, it doesn't matter. It really helps to talk with other parents, schools etcetera.
People often think of a kid as 'a pain in the ass', but most of the time when you have an official note saying what's wrong, you are taken more seriously.
This is an awful thing, but it is true.
I got diagnosed with autism when I was 12. My parents had been going to therapists and such since I was 2 years old. They were always called overanxious parents, but in the end they turned out to be right.

Apart from the schoolthing, most trajects to help people with developmental disorders, are suited for people up to the age of 18. After that, good luck. There's no real therapy for adult autists. It's strange, but true.