Music Banter - View Single Post - Stuck on a Musical Tangent
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2011, 06:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Pat View Post
What I mean by this is finding a band that absolutely envelopes you and you begin to look for more bands similar to the one you love or for the band's genre(s).I had this happen when I got into Hendrix. 1) I downloaded around 80 songs by him, 2) I looked for tons of blues musicians, 3) I looked for psychedelic musicians, and 4) I looked for musicians similar to Hendrix (Robin Trower, Stevie Ray Vaughan, etc). I'm currently stuck on two genres: punk rock and avant-garde. Of course, this doesn't mean I'll stop looking into these genres later on, and it definitely doesn't mean that I won't look into any other genres now. It's just I'm stuck on this "tangent" type mindset. So, has anyone ever had this happen to them?
You've basically just described my whole pattern of listening to music. Last year, for example, I went through a month or two of listening to mostly 90s gangsta rap, one album leading to another. Then I abruptly got on a stoner doom streak. Then dupstep. Then death metal. Then bebop. These days I'm on a streak of checking out experimental music, which has conveniently coincided with the experimental music listen club starting up.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote