Music Banter - View Single Post - Physical discipline against children .. okay or not?
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2011, 07:02 AM   #423 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
I doubt it's because they weren't physically disciplined as a child. That just happens to be a coincidence.
Hm, actually if you would filter through this thread, you would find a lot of links to several studies that show that there's a connection between physical punishment of kids and crime/capacity of violence later in life as well as other negative consequences.

When you make a nation-wide law, you want to make sure it's based on something that makes sense and you want to conduct studies afterwards to see if the law has had a positive or negative effect on society, so these questions are not completely unanswered. For example, as far as I know, Sweden is regularly studying the effect of their ban on corporal punishment.

edit :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzov*en View Post
I'm for physical discipline. As long as the person is not beating the living **** out of their kids, burning them and all that I am fine with it.
When, would you say, do you think it's okay for someone like your parent to physically hurt you? If you call your father an idiot or accidentally crash his car, is it okay if he slaps you?