Music Banter - View Single Post - Hip Hop Poll: Round 1, Poll L
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2011, 10:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
RandyMarsh
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Again, it's "greatest hip hop artist" not "greatest rapper". You're supposed to rate the people nominated based on the whole creative package, not simply rapping ability.

In the case of Dr. Dre, he's known primarily as producer so it seems particularly odd to judge him solely based on his rapping ability.
Not really fair to compare a rapper with a rapper AND producer. Either compare their rapping skills or don't compare. DJ Premier is a great producer but Kanye raps, sings and produces, it's not a fair comparison unless you compare them simply as producers. Same for Dre vs the other artists in the poll.

And personally I'd say he's better known for his record label and NWA days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Same with rapping. What's your point?
Not really. 50 cent is a bad rapper, not debatable. You can like bad rappers but they're still bad rappers. Producing is more of a preference thing, you say Dre, I say Nujabes. Two VERY different producers but there's no wrong. Rap is more technical, you have specific aspects, flow, delivery, lyricism etc. There's no such thing as a bad beat, just a beat you dislike. But there is such a thing as a bad rapper. There's a way to measure rap ability, based on effective use of lyricism and flow etc but there's no way to measure a good beat. That's my opinion on it anyway.