Music Banter - View Single Post - Ask A Foreigner
Thread: Ask A Foreigner
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2011, 05:26 AM   #615 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Thanks to all who shared more interesting thoughts and associations with Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
About Norway: Just how many neo-pagan viking types are there walking around?
Very few actually. There were a lot more of them in the 90s!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaqarbal View Post
Salmon!! I love that fu**ing fish in all the variants!

Also, as a History lover, the explorers. What balls Roald Amundsen had!! He had to be really tough to go to the South Pole (not the North), and going through that bloody "frozen hell" during three months until reaching the very fu**ing center.
Thanks, and I agree! We have a lot of national pride tied up in our explorers and about salmon, there's no argument. It's a helluva fish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFolkslave View Post
For some reason I would like to know what you guys know about Finland and what you thinl about Finland? (music, politics, weather, people, culture etc.)
Tove Jansson, vodka, depressed people with knives, lakes, demo groups (like Future Crew), saunas where you slap eachother's bums with twigs ..

Those are the first few things pop into my mind. I was a big fan of the Moomin series when I was a kid and some of my mod tracker idols (like Skaven and Purple Motion) came from the finnish demo scene. Saunas are awesome, even with spanking included I figure, and as someone who lives in a cold country and who's also lived in the high arctic, I can't understand why we don't build more saunas. I should add that our feeling that you guys are depressed has a lot to do with your language. Norwegian may be the most melodic of the scandinavian languages and finnish must be a strong contender for the least melodic. That often makes you seem a little down mood-wise from here.

The knives comment is from a series of jokes I've heard from fins about fins. In one joke, there's a scenario where a road is blocked by a huge rock and the joke is about how different peoples deal with this problem. I think the fins reaction in the joke is to get drunk and stab the rock with their knives.