Music Banter - View Single Post - Physical discipline against children .. okay or not?
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2011, 04:07 PM   #497 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
What is the punishment for a parent who slaps lightly?
It very much depends on the case and context, but I think commonly, you're looking at something from a fine up to 1 year prison for excercise of violence towards someone like your kid. If you've damaged the kid, for example breaking an arm or caused him or her a lot of pain (whatever a lot is), then I think you may be looking at 4 years prison or more.

Quote:
I think that a lot of kids do things they shouldn't just because they know they can get away with it. Example: A child deserves to be physically punished if he/she is, let's say, torturing an animal, bullying another kid or something like that. However, I don't think that a child should be beaten if he/she, for example, gets a B on an exam, or doesn't do homework (which some parents I know do)
There are other ways of discipline. Based on the studies I posted a couple of pages ago, it's clear that corporal punishment teaches kids and adolescents violence. It may also make your kid scared and frustrated, all things which may lead to a higher likelihood of your kid bullying or being violent towards other kids. You may get conformity in the short term, but if you want well behaved kids, other disciplinary methods may be more effective in changing long term behaviour.