Music Banter - View Single Post - Your Day
Thread: Your Day
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2011, 06:56 AM   #14512 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
I'm sure you'll find a niche somewhere, Tore, but it does seem odd when one's field of study leads to an area I would never have predicted for you: from mites to roads!

I remember in high school government class, our teacher said something like, "The average person has 20 different jobs in her/his life" or something like that. I was surprised, so his statement stuck with me. I was used to my parents' path: they studied something, became professors, and then that was it.

However, looking at my own life and my friends' lives, I've concluded that if you aren't a teacher then your career path can go all over. You'll be standing, doing something at work one day, and stop and think, "How the hell did I get here??"

Working for the government would probably be a very safe job, Tore, and since it isn't a private company they probably actually CARE what the ecological consequences of building roads are. I hope the job comes through for you!
Thanks Erica!

I'm not too worried about leaving my arctic mite studies behind actually. I felt it was something I just had to do rather than something I was passionate about. This road business is quite far from what I imagined when I started studying, but the more I think about it, the more interesting it sounds. I would have a chance to work on projects that have importance both to nature and society, so I really hope I get it I know another biologist who does similar work for a private company. They sometimes fly her out in the field with choppers so that she can check out mosses and stuff living in the area (she's a bit of a moss expert) and that sounds interesting although I guess most days will be spent writing up reports and so on.

It's true that it would be a secure job nicely tucked away from the capitalistic work pressure. I suspect some of the people hiring people for government jobs may be slightly biased towards young or soon-to-be parents and others who benefit the most from having these secure jobs. At least I imagine that could be a good way to help nurture the community!