Music Banter - View Single Post - ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2011, 03:43 PM   #49 (permalink)
sidewinder
Engorged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzov*en View Post
first song I heard by them and my favorite.
Awesome song from my favorite of their albums (Madonna). Gives me chills every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsy View Post
I have pretty much missed all of their albums since Worlds Apart... I really need to do some more downloading of their more recent work... especially if The Century Of Self is as good as some here are claiming!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentway View Post
It's unreal when hearing Source Tags and Codes that a band that made such a perfect album could make such garbage afterward. I mean the later albums aren't TERRIBLE, but ugh... ST&C is probably one of my top 5 favorite indie rock albums ever. It's very hard to capture the feeling of angst without whining, and to capture the essence of "coming of age," while commanding the pace so maturely. What a great album.
I feel that Worlds Apart is their weakest effort by quite a margin. I got it the day it came out and was so disappointed, and it still to this day hasn't grown on me. There are just a few good tracks and I find the rest pretty cringe-worthy. I wasn't too impressed with So Divided when it came out, but at least it didn't make me cringe like Worlds Apart. So Divided gets a lot of crap but it has grown on me over the years and contains some really good songs. I think it's unfairly ridiculed/rated (particularly on RYM) especially in comparison to Worlds Apart - which was the turning point for them, that didn't quite work so well. So Divided was along the same lines just somehow back in line, like they got their shift in order.

The Century of Self seemed 'somewhat' of a return to form, but I felt the production was a step down. Good songs though. It's been a while since I played it actually.

I'm anxious to hear the new one (Tao of the Dead, February 8)...I'd probably already have it (assumed it has leaked) if I wasn't currently obsessing over 60s music.