Music Banter - View Single Post - Movie Club discussion thread
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2011, 01:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra
\/ GOD

That's a very good summation of the film. The Paris line too, elicited a chuckle from myself. I think there's a lot to be said about the whole casual nature of how things progress. No matter what happens it seems the main character never is particularly shocked or surprised. He just calmly carries on.

One other thing I noticed about this film, and it's something you see a lot in earlier films like in the 60s where it seems like a lot of the dramatic technique from playhouse, is a lot of scenes where the characters relationship with the environment factors into the storytelling.

Take for instance the scene where the main character has just taken the photos in the park, has the film, and invites the woman in the photos to arrive to pick up the film. That scene itself works in many stages, events, and motions where the characters are seen fully manipulating the environment in his apartment throughout. A very slow boil psychological progression in character interaction.

Some may see this is as dragging on, but I think it's a tad refreshing to see in the modern world of "15 scenes in 10 minutes".
Terence Hill, as recently confirmed during an interview to an Italian TV talk-show, was offered the role but rejected it because he considered it "too violent". Dustin Hoffman and John Travolta declined the role for the same reason. When Al Pacino was considered for the role of John Rambo, he turned it down when his request that Rambo be more of a madman was rejected.
Al Pacino = God
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra is offline   Reply With Quote