Music Banter - View Single Post - Question about Music Ripping - Quality
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2011, 05:56 PM   #25 (permalink)
s_k
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious Drewski View Post
At the risk of derailing the thread, I feel like asking: What artists have their music recorded/engineered to such a fine calibre anyway? I'm not being facetious, I'm honestly asking. Off the top of my head, I can imagine that recordings from Andrew Bird or Joanna Newsom would have that level of fidelity. Are there any other obvious ones? I suppose modern recordings of classical music would fit the bill too.
There's so many beautiful recordings nowadays. There's too many to name them all. Some examples would be The Raconteurs Consolers of the Lonely, Villagers' Becoming a Jackal is definitely a beautiful one, tool recordings are legend, Calexico has some very nice recordings Iron and Wines recording of "Free untill they cut me down" is very very beautiful too... There's so many bands that really put some effort in their recordings. But there's two ways of doing this. There's the 'jack johnson way'. Sounds good on most affordable rigs, but at some point the rig will show you the weaknesses of the album. And then there's the bands whose records only shine on rigs that actually are able to deliver that kind of quality.
I should add that I still play the music when the sound quality sucks. Sometimes I equalize recordings and re-record them to make them listenable. Really awful sounding recors are for example the Last Shadow Puppets' Age of the Understatement and the Nationals' High Violet. Brilliant albums, nevertheless.
An album I think has been recorded like that on purpose, but still sounds ****ty, is The Soundcarriers' Celeste. It's so compressed. It's awful. It seems as though this has been done to create a certain effect, but it almost stopped me from buying the record. I did in the end and it's brilliant, but I can't listen to it everyday. It's so pushy.

Quote:
I ask this not because I care about bitrates (As long as they're >= 256k, they're fantastic in my opinion), but because I would love to know who out there makes music with such attention to detail.
As I said, a lot of artists. It's a question of taste too.
There's always been this discussion on classical records.
The two main 'audiophile' classical labels are DGG and Erato. I love Erato, but a lot of people prefer DGG. Neverending thing, that