Music Banter - View Single Post - Keiji Haino - Watashi Dake? (1981) [SAA Album Club discussion thread]
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2011, 02:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra
\/ GOD

Feel this is one of the most legitimately emotional albums I've ever heard. I really like the simple direction of just a man, his guitar, and the expression of his words. A very fluid combination of shrill weak gasps, and effect heavy guitar that plays off mood perfectly. Albeit musically this is very very detached from blues, it's seeming a lot of the same spirit of alpha blues, only amazingly abstracted, and expertly distilled into a wordless form. Again, very different musically, but very much in the raw spirit.

Very interesting to hear this type of hyper-experimental work with the raw amount of emotion presented. In most cases Avant Garde aims to be satirical, or literary but usually in a very impersonal way. Not always, but typically this is a very raw deviation from that.

Now, this excludes the final extra track, which of course feels like it's off a completely different album. This bothered me a tad bit at first. Mostly 5 minutes in, I was kind of bothered by the disjointed feeling. However, with the sheer breadth of this track, I realized that I was essentially getting two albums in one(30 minutes serves as an EP), and they're both amazing.

Albeit, far less emotional, I kind of like the extended track a lot better. Perhaps, it's my natural curve of being annoyed at it firstly, then getting sick of it in ten minutes, then ten minutes later really being sucked in, and never wanting it to end, then it ending ten minutes later. An amazingly forceful, powerful track. Very VERY bold for the year it came out (1981, I read).

Best of the three albums listened to so far by a country mile.
Terence Hill, as recently confirmed during an interview to an Italian TV talk-show, was offered the role but rejected it because he considered it "too violent". Dustin Hoffman and John Travolta declined the role for the same reason. When Al Pacino was considered for the role of John Rambo, he turned it down when his request that Rambo be more of a madman was rejected.
Al Pacino = God

Last edited by Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra; 02-07-2011 at 03:50 PM.
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra is offline   Reply With Quote