Music Banter

Music Banter (https://www.musicbanter.com/)
-   Album Reviews (https://www.musicbanter.com/album-reviews/)
-   -   Biffy Clyro: Puzzle (https://www.musicbanter.com/album-reviews/28734-biffy-clyro-puzzle.html)

mark1990celtic1888 02-26-2008 02:02 PM

Biffy Clyro: Puzzle
 
1. Living Is A Problem Because Everything Dies
2. Saturday Superhouse
3. Who's Got A Match
4. As Dust Dances/Two Fifteenths
5. Whole Child Ago
6. Conversation Is
7. Now I'm Everyone
8. Semi Mental/Four Fifteenths
9. Love Has A Diameter
10. Get ****ed Stud
11. Folding Stars
12. Nine Fifteenths
13. Machines

Year Formed:1995
Major Label:14th Floor
Prior Label's:Beggers Bonquet,Roadrunner
Band Members: Simon Neil,James Johnston,Ben Johnston
Prior Albums:Infinity Land,The Vertigo Of Bliss,Blackened Sky.

Release Date for Puzzle:2007


Biffy Clyro: Puzzle

From under the noses of the Scottish Music Industry became a band who never say die attitude has earned them a cult faithful that is unparalleled. As prior records speak of mediocrity, there newly sealed album is beyond any past exploits. A record crammed full of emotional songs that emphasize conflict, melodic exploitation and impact. With a free flowing underlining that converts your unsurpassed happiness and opens the valve that holds that tingling emotion. Maybe am sounding very theatrically involved? But this album is something ultimately brilliant, lashed in creativity and flamboyance overlapped by the sense of unity. As I leaped vigoursly into a sea of ever defining musical experimentation, I never imagined such a complete album. Puzzle is awesomely worked, the riff of ultra modern indie incorporated quite wonderfully with the hint of tearful mellow dramatic clichťs. And thatís not a disowning pop at the Scottish contingent, but a definition of the ever growing rock/indie culture.

Biffy Previously never hit the tune of mainstream, they crafted records that never seemed to work, that kept them wandering underground. There inferior lookout offered no consolation to there upbeat personalities, they just wanted to create something that breathed special. Normality was never in there musical vibe, they just lacked that quality to succeed. Puzzle has opened that fresh inventory of ideas; it burned out the cob webs of past records and set a scene, a new road to biffyís dreams.

The intro of Puzzle is large and hostile, it drags you in and takes you on a rollercoaster of future head bashing. Its clean start offers a true motive, a true sense hard craft and superiority. The rollercoaster starts to slow as emotion offers its hand, songs of such graceful status become embroiled and overcome the fast paced grunge, and replace them quite rapidly with sweet mellow gems. Saturday night super house literary blows away the feeling of morning awakening, who needs coffee when you have this blast of energy. A song you could never grow sick of, that seems to be the feeling on every track puzzled together in this record.

Scotland is forging a sustainable reputation in the music circuit, and Biffyís inclusion has produced the gloss cover on the box of tuneful treats. Travis, the Frattelis, the View have showed that Scotlandís not only famous for deep fried marsbars and the animal that treks across the highlands. And our fall from grace has been rekindled with passionate people who just want to perform there brave hearts out.

The harmonic contributions on the record are abiding by the phenomenon of relationships gone as sour as milk on the turn. Composed beautifully as Beethovenís finest work, the tear infused machines is the song that listeners can reflect to. Itís a lyrically immaculate piece with a greatly worked chorus which floods the ears with complete sentiment.

Supringly effective, puzzle is harshly underrated. Its true magic is not fully respected by critics; its involving core is never quite noticed. Maybe itís because Biffy arenít motivated with egotistical beliefs or arrogance, or maybe itís because people wonít try something new! In my opinion Biffy leads the new crop of genuine talent that are sure to make damn good music!! Enough said.

By Mark McConville

jackhammer 02-26-2008 02:52 PM

Unfortunately a review with the names: TRAVIS, THE FRATELLIS and THE VIEW loses immediate credibility.

.Tom. 02-26-2008 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackhammer (Post 447881)
Unfortunately a review with the names: TRAVIS, THE FRATELLIS and THE VIEW loses immediate credibility.

I don't often argue with these sort of posts but c'mon, that was hardly good discussion. They were mentioned briefly, and without musical comparison so there isn't much reason to dismiss a review for the mention of a few bands - which, in my opinion, is shallow anyway because tastes can differ, Biffy Clyro could easily appeal to fans of stated bands as much as it could appeal to people who aren't fans of those bands.

I don't mean to offend or anything, but it just seems discouraging for a new member to post a review just to have it dismissed by such a comment. Sorry if I annoyed you with that tirade. Maybe I'm just nit-picky.

Anyway, on topic: I really like this album. At first I found them pretty bland, but then I watched them live and was impressed. Puzzle's a really good, intricate album, definitely one of my favourites of 2007.

Farfisa 02-27-2008 01:03 AM

ahhhh.....yet another horrid band

mark1990celtic1888 02-27-2008 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loose_lips_sink_ships (Post 448125)
ahhhh.....yet another horrid band

that looks like a nasty cut.

Biffy rule the roost of culture stained music, there determination and fanatical fanbase are hard to compare with any other indie band. what stuff do you listen to?

Quote:

Originally Posted by .Tom. (Post 447989)
I don't often argue with these sort of posts but c'mon, that was hardly good discussion. They were mentioned briefly, and without musical comparison so there isn't much reason to dismiss a review for the mention of a few bands - which, in my opinion, is shallow anyway because tastes can differ, Biffy Clyro could easily appeal to fans of stated bands as much as it could appeal to people who aren't fans of those bands.

I don't mean to offend or anything, but it just seems discouraging for a new member to post a review just to have it dismissed by such a comment. Sorry if I annoyed you with that tirade. Maybe I'm just nit-picky.

Anyway, on topic: I really like this album. At first I found them pretty bland, but then I watched them live and was impressed. Puzzle's a really good, intricate album, definitely one of my favourites of 2007.



Thanks for the helping hand Tom, at least you can spot potential in a band.

Farfisa 02-27-2008 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark1990celtic1888 (Post 448141)
that looks like a nasty cut.

Biffy rule the roost of culture stained music, there determination and fanatical fanbase are hard to compare with any other indie band. what stuff do you listen to?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark1990celtic1888 (Post 448142)
Thanks for the helping hand Tom, at least you can spot potential in a band.

the multi quote button is there for a reason

Rubberchicken 02-28-2008 10:26 PM

Been a fan since their debut and this was the first album that made me hit the stop button before it was over.
It freaked me out then as I slowly heard songs from having my music collection on random and I slowly got used to it and would find them getting stuck in my head.
So I put it on my mp3 player and listened to it up close before bed one evening and BAM it made sense.
From the opening track with the building unexpected hits (which now make sense, very biffy). The second half has a few tracks that are still growing on me.
It's a lot more straight forward than previous albums and it's not their best yet.. but its still a good biffy album. Can't see it making too many new fans though. I still wouldn't play it at a party.

mark1990celtic1888 02-28-2008 11:37 PM

I agree with you in some aspects. Biffy's previous albums were never given the chance to bloom. They have recieved more air space with puzzle. I think puzzles is a groundbreaking achievement. hope you liked the review.

jackhammer 02-29-2008 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by .Tom. (Post 447989)
I don't often argue with these sort of posts but c'mon, that was hardly good discussion. They were mentioned briefly, and without musical comparison so there isn't much reason to dismiss a review for the mention of a few bands - which, in my opinion, is shallow anyway because tastes can differ, Biffy Clyro could easily appeal to fans of stated bands as much as it could appeal to people who aren't fans of those bands.

I don't mean to offend or anything, but it just seems discouraging for a new member to post a review just to have it dismissed by such a comment. Sorry if I annoyed you with that tirade. Maybe I'm just nit-picky.

Anyway, on topic: I really like this album. At first I found them pretty bland, but then I watched them live and was impressed. Puzzle's a really good, intricate album, definitely one of my favourites of 2007.

You have'nt offended me at all. Those bands do though, but I agree that is was a short reply HOWEVER I have been in PM with the reviewer a couple of times so no harm done. For the record I prefer Infinity Land to Puzzle. It's a lot rawer.

mark1990celtic1888 02-29-2008 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackhammer (Post 449068)
You have'nt offended me at all. Those bands do though, but I agree that is was a short reply HOWEVER I have been in PM with the reviewer a couple of times so no harm done. For the record I prefer Infinity Land to Puzzle. It's a lot rawer.

why do those bands offend you?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:13 PM.


© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.


SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.