Music Banter

Music Banter (https://www.musicbanter.com/)
-   Album Reviews (https://www.musicbanter.com/album-reviews/)
-   -   Pink Floyd "Endless River" (https://www.musicbanter.com/album-reviews/79701-pink-floyd-endless-river.html)

neardeathexperience 11-14-2014 07:09 PM

Pink Floyd "Endless River"
 
This album is going to require some serious listening. There are eighteen songs presented by Pink Floyd here all trying to convey something different to the listener.
Even after a twenty year hiatus we can still immediately pick out that distinctive sound. Are we going to actually hear anything new and breath taking here? Probably not, but if you are a fan of long melodic songs this album is a must for you. It stands on the past efforts of perhaps some of the best musicians in our lifetime and it is worth a very intent listening.
The songs date back to a side project called the big spliff around the time of the Division Bell album! Numerous hours of recorded songs were listened to by the band and selections were made of what they considered the most interesting songs. A reworking of the songs was undertaken and Endless River is the result. There are also bonus tracks for those who want to seek them out.
Apparently this will be the last offering of anything new from Pink Floyd so all those who enjoy this band should take the time to bask in their past glories.:hphones:

Key 11-14-2014 09:22 PM

I just need someone's opinion about this, because I haven't taken the time to give this album a proper listen, because I know the OP says that it is, but i'm curious if other people have said the same thing.

Frownland 11-14-2014 09:28 PM

It's boring. Has some moments then ruins it in the same song with most cases. I think I said earlier: Kenny G attempts ambient music.

Key 11-14-2014 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frownland (Post 1508434)
It's boring. Has some moments then ruins it in the same song with most cases. I think I said earlier: Kenny G attempts ambient music.

Lame. I had a feeling that would happen, just didn't want to waste my time listening to it. I may in the future, but I didn't really see it as an urgent thing to get a hold of.

ladyislingering 11-14-2014 09:52 PM

I wasn't crazy about Division Bell as an album and I'm not really crazy about these newly released tracks. Maybe it's just my appreciation for Roger that doesn't allow Pink Floyd without him to sound half as great as they did with him.

The newly released material is a special treat for Pink Floyd's die-hard fans but it's kind of a sleeper for the rest of us.

CoNtrivedNiHilism 11-14-2014 10:42 PM

I gave it a listen a few days ago, should probably give it another. Overall I felt that the album wasn't cohesive or set up right. It sounded inconsistent and lost in translation to me. There were only a few songs I can say that I did enjoy, but most of the others really didn't strike a chord in me. The album is good when you compare it to other releases, but it is not even close to being what they're capable of.

I'd give it a 5.5/10...

Moss 11-15-2014 12:05 AM

Very boring. Sounds like what it is, a bunch of unfinished songs that really needed Roger Waters. Might make a good soundtrack. Maybe a montage scene of intrepid thief's breaking into a bank. Or a Bill Bixby like character walking down a road with his backpack. If I just heard it without knowing who it was I might think Yanni or John Tesh except for the first song which appears to be a complete rehash of Shine on you crazy diamond.. Some brief moments of great guitar but overall just really boring.

Floydy 11-15-2014 05:36 AM

From the lukewarm and largely mediocre reviews of this final release, I wasn’t expecting very much from my favourite band, though dearly hoping that I wouldn’t be too disappointed. The main reason for this was that the album was decidedly and emphatically going to be an instrumental album. The word used being ‘ambient’, which suggests a mellow, soundscape-type recording perhaps in the vein of ‘Tubular Bells’ or something noodling like that. My immediate thoughts were “why?” and how strange that there were not going to be any vocals apart from the final song (of 18 tracks) which presumably was made so that we had a promotional single for the radio.

What it is, you see, is a tribute in the most part to Floyd keyboardist and effects wizard Richard Wright who died in 2008. All of the music features his playing, the sound arguably which defined the band – alongside David Gilmour’s unmistakeable guitar. And the record is far, far from being mellow…

After a brief introductory sound effects piece, which was always the norm on a Pink Floyd album, the music comes in. And does it just. Loudly, it positively CRASHES its way in like a juggernaut. I actually turned my headphone selector down a notch and almost leapt from the floor where I was situated for this event. Nick Mason’s drums have never sounded so powerful, so up to the forefront of a Floyd album and it’s a joy to behold. Gilmour’s guitars are incredible. He never disappoints of course but he even excels his own considerable talents on this record. For the next hour the listener is subjected to a wonderful and incredibly well-produced album and when the final ‘song’ “Louder Than Words” ends the disc, it’s almost as if it doesn’t belong; As if the album perhaps SHOULD have been wholly instrumental, being the technically sound occasion that it is.

To this listener at least, it’s a magnificent record.

CoNtrivedNiHilism 11-15-2014 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Floydy (Post 1508638)
From the lukewarm and largely mediocre reviews of this final release, I wasn’t expecting very much from my favourite band, though dearly hoping that I wouldn’t be too disappointed. The main reason for this was that the album was decidedly and emphatically going to be an instrumental album. The word used being ‘ambient’, which suggests a mellow, soundscape-type recording perhaps in the vein of ‘Tubular Bells’ or something noodling like that. My immediate thoughts were “why?” and how strange that there were not going to be any vocals apart from the final song (of 18 tracks) which presumably was made so that we had a promotional single for the radio.

What it is, you see, is a tribute in the most part to Floyd keyboardist and effects wizard Richard Wright who died in 2008. All of the music features his playing, the sound arguably which defined the band – alongside David Gilmour’s unmistakeable guitar. And the record is far, far from being mellow…

After a brief introductory sound effects piece, which was always the norm on a Pink Floyd album, the music comes in. And does it just. Loudly, it positively CRASHES its way in like a juggernaut. I actually turned my headphone selector down a notch and almost leapt from the floor where I was situated for this event. Nick Mason’s drums have never sounded so powerful, so up to the forefront of a Floyd album and it’s a joy to behold. Gilmour’s guitars are incredible. He never disappoints of course but he even excels his own considerable talents on this record. For the next hour the listener is subjected to a wonderful and incredibly well-produced album and when the final ‘song’ “Louder Than Words” ends the disc, it’s almost as if it doesn’t belong; As if the album perhaps SHOULD have been wholly instrumental, being the technically sound occasion that it is.

To this listener at least, it’s a magnificent record.

While I respect your view on the record. I can't keep myself from thinking that you're just a fan that is trying to color in a dull, empty canvas with vibrancy. Magnificent to you, but to others that address it for what it really is, it is dull and a disappointing final album. There's just not enough redeeming qualities of this album to make it noteworthy, other than the fact that there won't be another Pink Floyd record after this one. A shame...to go out on such a dull note.

Floydy 11-15-2014 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoNtrivedNiHilism (Post 1508642)
While I respect your view on the record. I can't keep myself from thinking that you're just a fan that is trying to color in a dull, empty canvas with vibrancy. Magnificent to you, but to others that address it for what it really is, it is dull and a disappointing final album. There's just not enough redeeming qualities of this album to make it noteworthy, other than the fact that there won't be another Pink Floyd record after this one. A shame...to go out on such a dull note.

"Just a fan", lol, for the past 35 years bud. Personal opinion of course, a great album. :)


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:16 AM.


© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.