Music Banter

Music Banter (https://www.musicbanter.com/)
-   Country, Folk & World Music (https://www.musicbanter.com/country-folk-world-music/)
-   -   Phil Ochs (https://www.musicbanter.com/country-folk-world-music/23494-phil-ochs.html)

sleepy jack 06-22-2007 07:25 PM

Phil Ochs
 
Phil Ochs is similar to Seeger, Guthrie, Dylan and all that, though most similar to Guthrie and Seeger. Vocally hes most like Seeger music wise Guthrie. I think I may like him best because I like his lyrics best and hes more consistent with good lyrics than Dylan is. "It's always the old to lead us to the war it's always the young to fall now look at all we've won with the sabre and the gun tell me is it worth it all?"

He was a protest singer but preferred to be called a topical singer. He usually played at political events, his best known songs were "Power and the Glory", "Draft Dodger Rag", "There But for Fortune", "Changes", "Crucifixion, "When I'm Gone", "Love Me I'm a Liberal", "Links on the Chain", "Ringing of Revolution", "Outside of a Small Circle of Friends", and "I Ain't Marching Anymore". Towards the end of his life he developed various problems and eventually killed himself in 76. This was just a kind of quick summary, read more here.

Recommendations:
The Highway Man
Here's To The State Of Richard Nixon
Love Me, I'm a Liberal
Power and Glory

MySpace.com - Phil Ochs - New York, New York - Folk - www.myspace.com/loveliberals

swim 06-30-2007 11:41 AM

horribly boring besides the fact that he has horrible character and was so upset that he wasn't as big as Dylan. I hate Phil Ochs.

SEF 07-20-2007 06:28 PM

I'm loving his voice and lyrics but the music itself is not that interesting.

Larkrise 07-20-2007 06:34 PM

Whoever says Phil Ochs is boring, I'm gonna strap headphones on your ass and force you to listen to the lyrics. They are simple, yes, but he puts so much meaning into them.

SEF 07-20-2007 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larkrise (Post 381892)
Whoever says Phil Ochs is boring, I'm gonna strap headphones on your ass and force you to listen to the lyrics. They are simple, yes, but he puts so much meaning into them.


His lyrics are meaningful but lyrics and music are somewhat separated, good music without decent lyrics is crap and great lyrics with no music is nothing. The music behinds his lyrics is okay but my point is that the music is not to be ignored.

Music Man 07-30-2007 02:50 AM

I never was very impressed by Och's music--tunes or lyrics. IMHO, there were a number of folk artists who were better, in both the traditional and protest sub-genres of folk music.

MissouriPicker 08-05-2007 08:04 PM

I've never thought of Phil Och as a big name in folk music. He hung around with Dylan and Peter, Paul & Mary, Judy Collins and others, but he never approached their magnitude as a star. He wrote some good songs that other people made big hits out of. Of couse, Townes Van Zandt was known more as a writer than a singer and others had big hits with his songs. I think Och was a talented guy. Certainly more talented than myself...lol...but never of the calibre of Bob Dylan, Barry McGuire, and many others.......Just my view of it. Doesn't necessarily make me right and someone else wrong.

Music Man 08-06-2007 03:37 AM

I pretty much agree with Mizzou's assessment of Ochs--he was never really one of the big names in folk music. Most of his hardcore fans are people who are pretty much in agreement with his political and social views.

sleepy jack 12-01-2007 11:12 PM

Folk Singer for the FBI: The Phil Ochs FBI File by Eric Blair (Book) in History

This is why I love Phil Ochs.

TheBig3 12-02-2007 08:10 AM

so why?

sleepy jack 12-02-2007 06:01 PM

...Whats not to love about having a several hundred page FBI file?

TheBig3 12-02-2007 09:04 PM

the music.

sleepy jack 12-03-2007 12:27 AM

Thank you for that informative post on what you dislike about his music. You've managed to take a step down from the usual "the music sucks lolz" all the way to just saying "the music." Congrats!

swim 12-06-2007 09:20 PM

I had only heard is stuff from his latter years before when I thought he was horrible. I Aint Marching Anymore and The Only News Fit to Sing are amazing.

TheBig3 12-06-2007 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowquill (Post 419005)
Thank you for that informative post on what you dislike about his music. You've managed to take a step down from the usual "the music sucks lolz" all the way to just saying "the music." Congrats!

pfff, but your claws away young man. You said you you liked a guy because he had an extensive FBI file. All bets are off on this one. How about I hate him because he tried to tell me his Magenta scarf was red.

sleepy jack 12-06-2007 09:32 PM

Yeah, seeing as I made a thread about him listing my favorite songs and stuff it's obvious I just care about the FBI file.

TheBig3 12-06-2007 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowquill (Post 418734)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowquill (Post 418910)
...Whats not to love about having a several hundred page FBI file?

Sincerely in loving admiration,
TheBig3

sleepy jack 12-06-2007 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowquill (Post 375931)
Phil Ochs is similar to Seeger, Guthrie, Dylan and all that, though most similar to Guthrie and Seeger. Vocally hes most like Seeger music wise Guthrie. I think I may like him best because I like his lyrics best and hes more consistent with good lyrics than Dylan is. "It's always the old to lead us to the war it's always the young to fall now look at all we've won with the sabre and the gun tell me is it worth it all?"

He was a protest singer but preferred to be called a topical singer. He usually played at political events, his best known songs were "Power and the Glory", "Draft Dodger Rag", "There But for Fortune", "Changes", "Crucifixion, "When I'm Gone", "Love Me I'm a Liberal", "Links on the Chain", "Ringing of Revolution", "Outside of a Small Circle of Friends", and "I Ain't Marching Anymore". Towards the end of his life he developed various problems and eventually killed himself in 76. This was just a kind of quick summary, read more here.

Recommendations:
The Highway Man
Here's To The State Of Richard Nixon
Love Me, I'm a Liberal
Power and Glory

MySpace.com - Phil Ochs - New York, New York - Folk - www.myspace.com/loveliberals

Sincerely in loving admiration,
Crowquill

TheBig3 12-08-2007 12:27 AM

I don't give a rats ass what you wikipedia'd, the point you said this is why I love Phil Ochs.

That, right there, was why you loved him. And since im a post-modernist at heart, when you say things like this is the reason, you remove everything else from being the reason you, in this case, love phil ochs.

boo boo 12-08-2007 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SEF (Post 381921)
good music without decent lyrics is crap

Wrong.

And Big3, stop being a douche.

sleepy jack 12-08-2007 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog (Post 420404)
I don't give a rats ass what you wikipedia'd, the point you said this is why I love Phil Ochs.

That, right there, was why you loved him. And since im a post-modernist at heart, when you say things like this is the reason, you remove everything else from being the reason you, in this case, love phil ochs.

You can't wikipedia the songs you love, surely you, the great post-modernist intellectual, must realize that?

TheBig3 12-08-2007 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boo boo (Post 420648)
Wrong.

And Big3, stop being a douche.

excuse me?

CAPTAIN CAVEMAN 12-08-2007 07:24 PM

http://storm.elxx.net/mgrinshpon/slowpoke.jpeg

hay guise am i late for bitch fight

boo boo 12-08-2007 07:50 PM

Ah Slowpoke. Evolving him into Slowking ain't easy. You have to get a Kings Rock and use it while trading with a friend via link cable.

I hate that you HAVE to use link cables to evolve certain Pokemon.

swim 12-08-2007 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog (Post 420404)
I don't give a rats ass what you wikipedia'd, the point you said this is why I love Phil Ochs.

That, right there, was why you loved him. And since im a post-modernist at heart, when you say things like this is the reason, you remove everything else from being the reason you, in this case, love phil ochs.

If you took him literally then you're a little slow. I think it's clear that he just wanted to bump the thread and get people talking and anyway this Music Banter not Word Use Analysis.




anyway this is an example of why I love Phil Ochs. It displays the perfect folk personal touch in showmanship. It took me a while to realize that this was pretty parallel with Romeo and Juliet because I didn't really listen to what he said because his voice is so purty that I just listened to the notes.

sleepy jack 12-08-2007 08:10 PM

God I love that song, I think it could be my favorite folk song ever.

boo boo 12-08-2007 08:26 PM

Hey Swimin, remember when you got all teed off because I said you were constantly changing your opinions all the time?

On the first page you said you hate Ochs, and 2 pages later you're already saying you love him. :laughing:

sleepy jack 12-08-2007 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swimintheundertow (Post 420030)
I had only heard is stuff from his latter years before when I thought he was horrible. I Aint Marching Anymore and The Only News Fit to Sing are amazing.

.

boo boo 12-08-2007 08:32 PM

So you admit to making broad generalizations about someone you know little about?

sleepy jack 12-08-2007 08:40 PM

I don't feel like dragging up old posts but you admitted the only Modest Mouse albums you've heard are the Moon and Antarctica and Good News for People Who Love Bad News yet you call them horrible all the time. So it's pretty hypocritical for you to bash swim for doing something you do, all the time.

boo boo 12-08-2007 08:45 PM

Moon and Antarctica is generally considered to be one of their best albums. Its not like calling Yes crap based on one of their worst songs.

That would be you. ;)

sleepy jack 12-08-2007 08:47 PM

I'm sorry but when a band's most popularly downloaded song is Owner Of A Lonely Heart they have to suck a decent amount.

swim 12-08-2007 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boo boo (Post 420680)
Hey Swimin, remember when you got all teed off because I said you were constantly changing your opinions all the time?

On the first page you said you hate Ochs, and 2 pages later you're already saying you love him. :laughing:

I actually didn't really change my opinion at all. I like woody guthrie and pete seeger and can't stand bob dylan's latter albums. Phil Och's early stuff sounds in the vein of seeger and guthrie his latter stuff sounds in the vein of latter dylan. And since I love Seeger and Guthrie and hate Dylan's latter stuff. I really haven't made a drastic change in opinion it just shows that i listened to the wrong albums when I was trying to get into Ochs. Why would I listen to more of something that I thought sounded god awful?


Edit: In fact I liked some Ochs Songs before I even knew I did because Seeger did covers of Draft Dodger Dog and Power and the Glory and I thought Seeger wrote them.

boo boo 12-08-2007 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowquill (Post 420687)
I'm sorry but when a band's most popularly downloaded song is Owner Of A Lonely Heart they have to suck a decent amount.

Modests Mouse's most popular song is Float On.

Owner of a Lonely Heart >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Float On.

OMFG. Does this mean Yes is better than Modest Mouse?

Why YES. It does. :D

sleepy jack 12-13-2007 03:29 AM

Back to Phil Ochs.



One of the reasons I love him is because he was a very ballsy singer. It takes alot of balls to go on public television in the early sixties and attack christianity.

Tor_Hershman 10-29-2010 08:47 PM

Phil Ochs, a wonderful writer/singer.

Tor_Hershman 10-29-2010 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepy jack (Post 421787)
Back to Phil Ochs.



One of the reasons I love him is because he was a very ballsy singer. It takes alot of balls to go on public television in the early sixties and attack christianity.

He didn't attack Christianity, he defended himself.

clutnuckle 10-29-2010 09:11 PM

I literally just listened to him for the first time in a few months. Surprisingly, his work is still very refreshing; "Love Me, I'm A Liberal" is still hilarious to this day.

Hatfieldfan 06-27-2011 02:32 PM

Love Me I'm a Liberal is my favorite, topped only by Circle of friends.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:11 AM.


© 2003-2021 Advameg, Inc.