Music Banter

Music Banter (https://www.musicbanter.com/)
-   Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion (https://www.musicbanter.com/current-events-philosophy-religion/)
-   -   How Privileged Are You? (https://www.musicbanter.com/current-events-philosophy-religion/76520-how-privileged-you.html)

Astronomer 04-11-2014 10:24 PM

How Privileged Are You?
 
http://www.buzzfeed.com/regajha/how-...d-are-you?bffb

I thought this was pretty interesting, even though it obviously doesn't and cannot take in to account all aspects of what it means to be privileged. Some of the points are a little random.

I got 60/100: "You’re quite privileged. You’ve had a few struggles, but overall your life has been far easier than most. This is not a bad thing, nor is it something to be ashamed of. But you should be aware of your advantages and work to help others who don’t have them."

Pretty much what I expected! Thanks Australia, for the free public healthcare and affordable tertiary education (for now...)

ladyislingering 04-11-2014 10:34 PM

edit: screw it, my general misanthropy has led me to just not give a damn about this thread

nice quiz, though - love Buzzfeed's time wasters.

Engine 04-11-2014 10:39 PM

holy **** I'm only 46% privileged according to that.
I would estimate that I'm more. At first I thought this would be just another bullshit buzzfeed thing, but it's pretty thorough. I didn't like its assumption that everybody has multiple identities but otherwise it pretty much covered the gambit of issues regarding race, sex, gender, religion, and class. It's still pretty much bullshit that can't detect the nuances of individuals, but surprisingly deep for buzzfeed.

WWWP 04-11-2014 10:53 PM

Pre-test thoughts: As a twenty something straight Caucasian cis-female with a steady job living above the poverty line I would assume that I am quite privileged.

Post-test: 43/100
Quote:

You’re not privileged at all. You grew up with an intersectional, complicated identity, and life never let you forget it. You’ve had your fair share of struggles, and you’ve worked hard to overcome them. We do not live in an ideal world and you had to learn that the hard way. It is not your responsibility to educate those with more advantages than you, but if you decide you want to, go ahead and send them this quiz. Hopefully it will help.

Engine 04-11-2014 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buzzfeed

You’re not privileged at all. You grew up with an intersectional, complicated identity, and life never let you forget it. You’ve had your fair share of struggles, and you’ve worked hard to overcome them. We do not live in an ideal world and you had to learn that the hard way. It is not your responsibility to educate those with more advantages than you, but if you decide you want to, go ahead and send them this quiz. Hopefully it will help.

yo buzzfeed, it won't help, you pretentious bitch

ladyislingering 04-11-2014 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junkyard Donner (Post 1438787)
Pre-test thoughts: As a twenty something straight Caucasian cis-female with a steady job living above the poverty line I would assume that I am quite privileged.

Post-test: 43/100

Same; I'm probably more privileged now than I've ever been in my life but it didn't happen purely by chance (though I recognize that many people have it a lot worse than I do).

Engine 04-11-2014 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladyislingering (Post 1438790)
Same; I'm probably more privileged now than I've ever been in my life but it didn't happen purely by chance (though I recognize that many people have it a lot worse than I do).

oh so many contradictions to your last post

gunnels 04-11-2014 11:17 PM

I'm a white cis male I should've gotten like a 90. I feel extremely privileged but came out with a 49. I'd take these a grain of salt. Or ten.

Engine 04-11-2014 11:20 PM

there should be a privilege guilt test

ladyislingering 04-11-2014 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Engine (Post 1438791)
oh so many contradictions to your last post

I've been dragged through the mud pretty much my entire life and I consider it a miracle that I've made it far enough to actually be comfortable for once (hence my mentioning that I'm a lot better off now than I've ever been) but it could have been much worse.

fuck it, I give up. this is why I don't really make a habit of talking to people in person either.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:01 PM.


© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.