Music Banter

Music Banter (https://www.musicbanter.com/)
-   Reggae & Ska (https://www.musicbanter.com/reggae-ska/)
-   -   REGGAE WEEK: Your favourite Reggae artist and why? (https://www.musicbanter.com/reggae-ska/49829-reggae-week-your-favourite-reggae-artist-why.html)

James 06-08-2010 12:53 PM

REGGAE WEEK: Your favourite Reggae artist and why?
 
It's now officially Reggae week and for some members this isn't a problem. However some of you can't commit to a review. Maybe you're low on time or have limited knowledge on the subject and don't want to do a full review. No matter the reason in here you can post your favourites give an explanation and if you're awesome leave a mini-review of one of said artists albums.

My favourite artist is Black Uhuru I love their style and the killer grooves they come up with. I shall go into more detail in my journal but as for the rest of you' GET REVIEWING!

mr dave 06-08-2010 05:48 PM

one of my favourites is this old dude.

http://www.kalamu.com/bol/wp-content...angun%2002.jpg

one, Mr. Ernest Ranglin. damn near 80 and still riding the riddims. he's credited with helping pioneer Ska, been releasing music since the 60s, did soundtrack work on a James Bond film (Dr. No), worked with Lee Scratch Perry and Jimmy Cliff in the 70s. commercially he seemed to disappear in the 80s before returning in 1996 with the album Below the Bassline, which featured a more jazzy approach to raggae. he also appears on the St. Germain album 'Tourist'.

here's the title track to his return to commercial records from 1996.



if you listen to this and don't feel like the person in the image you should check your pulse because you're probably dead.

Tea Supremacist 06-10-2010 12:02 PM

I only just noticed this...!

I'm gonna go with Jimmy Cliff, this is probably based mostly on the fact that my Mum loved him so I was bought up on him more than any other reggae artist (Desmond Dekker, Johnny Nash and Prince Buster were a few of the others I grew up with).

Probably most well known for 'You can get it if you really want' and his covers of 'Wild World' and 'I can see clearly now'.

My favourite album is probably 'Wonderful World, Beautiful People', the title track and 'Viet nam' being the best (in my opinion). According to the Lord Wikipedia, Bob Dylan said 'Viet nam' was the best protest song he'd ever heard.He was also in 'The Harder they come', unsurprisingly featuring pretty heavily in the soundtrack. To be honest, I didn't think a lot of the film, but meh.

In his early 60s now and still going for it... Top bloke.

There's probably, actually, definately better reggae artists out there but as I said, Jimmy Cliff sticks out as my favourite.

YouTube - Jimmy Cliff - Vietnam

James 06-10-2010 12:05 PM

@mr dave that's good **** I'll have to find me some of that
@Tea Supremicist Jimmy Cliff is truly a Reggae great and I agree on Viet Nam being a good song.


I'll post in here at some point as I didn't manage a journal entry.

jackhammer 06-11-2010 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr dave (Post 879315)
one of my favourites is this old dude.

http://www.kalamu.com/bol/wp-content...angun%2002.jpg

one, Mr. Ernest Ranglin. damn near 80 and still riding the riddims. he's credited with helping pioneer Ska, been releasing music since the 60s, did soundtrack work on a James Bond film (Dr. No), worked with Lee Scratch Perry and Jimmy Cliff in the 70s. commercially he seemed to disappear in the 80s before returning in 1996 with the album Below the Bassline, which featured a more jazzy approach to raggae. he also appears on the St. Germain album 'Tourist'.

here's the title track to his return to commercial records from 1996.



if you listen to this and don't feel like the person in the image you should check your pulse because you're probably dead.

Love this track and admit to not even heard of him which is shameful as far as I'm concerned!

I get the same feeling when I hear this track:


mr dave 06-11-2010 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackhammer (Post 880967)
Love this track and admit to not even heard of him which is shameful as far as I'm concerned!

glad you dig it, i'm feeling shameful of only hearing the name Black Uhuru but not checking them out before just now :thumb:

i also haven't seen your avatar / the 'bat catching trick - WITH MY TEETH!' in forever hahaha

jackhammer 06-11-2010 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr dave (Post 880997)
glad you dig it, i'm feeling shameful of only hearing the name Black Uhuru but not checking them out before just now :thumb:

i also haven't seen your avatar / the 'bat catching trick - WITH MY TEETH!' in forever hahaha

Yeah I do like American humour sometimes lol. As for Black Uhuru, when they have the incomparable rhythm section of Sly and Robbie, it's hard to go wrong.

kingmills38 07-30-2010 03:21 AM

bob marley forever

kingmills38 07-30-2010 03:23 AM

bob marley

PossessedRabbit 08-10-2010 06:01 PM

Slightly Stoopid has been blowing my mind lately!!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:46 PM.


© 2003-2021 Advameg, Inc.