Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Rap & Hip-Hop
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2009, 08:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 746
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark shadow View Post
3 bland unimaginative words used to describe music you consider bland and unimaginative is essentially trolling. and the rap is bad concept may not be new but if the lyrics are good who cares? would you mind explaining whats bland about the music? this is a forum for discussion, not insults. you are entitled to your opinion, but please back it up if you dont want to be called out on it.
I have no problem explaining my opinion. Providing an opinion isn't trolling, and I don't see where you guys are getting this from. Grow up. If you want to have a conversation, just ask, like Bane of Existence was able to do.

Lowkey is beating a dead horse. "Hip hop is baaad, and we have to save it. I'm here to save hip hop. Guns are baaad, and talking about drugs is baaad."

On top of that, he talks about how he doesn't talk about guns or drugs. All of this is overplayed and generic for the underground, and he spends more time talking about what he doesn't talk about than talking about something that he can talk about.

Yeah, Bane. I know rappers talk about how "rap is bad" occasionally - but that's a majority of what this guy is talking about. It's not part of it, it's what he's trying to make his whole character, and it's stupid. He's dull as all hell, and his flow is pansyish. Boo, two thumbs down.
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 78
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I have no problem explaining my opinion. Providing an opinion isn't trolling, and I don't see where you guys are getting this from. Grow up. If you want to have a conversation, just ask, like Bane of Existence was able to do.

Lowkey is beating a dead horse. "Hip hop is baaad, and we have to save it. I'm here to save hip hop. Guns are baaad, and talking about drugs is baaad."

On top of that, he talks about how he doesn't talk about guns or drugs. All of this is overplayed and generic for the underground, and he spends more time talking about what he doesn't talk about than talking about something that he can talk about.

Yeah, Bane. I know rappers talk about how "rap is bad" occasionally - but that's a majority of what this guy is talking about. It's not part of it, it's what he's trying to make his whole character, and it's stupid. He's dull as all hell, and his flow is pansyish. Boo, two thumbs down.
Now that you've given at least a reason for your comments, I don't have any issue with what your saying. What I took issue with was the fact that you used three vague adjectives to state an opinion. That isn't an opinion.

would you mind explaining whats bland about the music?


I did try to start a discussion, for the record. It seems that you skimmed that part of my post.
dark shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 746
Default

And it seems that you skimmed my response to Bane and post atop yours.

I've already explained my side. He's regurgitating the same anti-this, anti-that rap coming out of every other underground rapper's mouth, he's not providing the listener with anything interesting to hear topic-wise, and as far as his delivery goes, his flow is so pansyish and stiff. His voice isn't very gripping at all. The beats? Oh, cool, sounds like amateur FL Studio stuff.

By the way, I didn't just post "man this is GARBAGE!! HAHAHA LOOK AT MY BUTT!!" I posted three adjectives that I felt described the music that I heard. By those adjectives, one would be able to assume my opinion, and the adjectives would describe why.
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 78
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
And it seems that you skimmed my response to Bane and post atop yours.

I've already explained my side. He's regurgitating the same anti-this, anti-that rap coming out of every other underground rapper's mouth, he's not providing the listener with anything interesting to hear topic-wise, and as far as his delivery goes, his flow is so pansyish and stiff. His voice isn't very gripping at all. The beats? Oh, cool, sounds like amateur FL Studio stuff.

By the way, I didn't just post "man this is GARBAGE!! HAHAHA LOOK AT MY BUTT!!" I posted three adjectives that I felt described the music that I heard. By those adjectives, one would be able to assume my opinion, and the adjectives would describe why.
generic, boring, and unimaginative can be applied to almost any artist today. sure, i can formulate that you don't like his music, but posting an opinion wont get anywhere in a discussion unless you explain what lead you to that opinion. like i said, since you've explained why you feel his music is uninspired, i don't take issue. we have different opinions, and neither can be proven right or wrong. lets leave it at that.
dark shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:28 PM   #15 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 746
Default

Uh... Those adjectives did explain what led me to my opinion. Yeah, they can be applied to a relative stockpile of others, and that's where Lowkey falls. He's just "there," he doesn't do anything.

Also, why even ask for explanation on an opinion if you're not going to consider it, care about it, or debate it?
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:44 PM   #16 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 78
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Uh... Those adjectives did explain what led me to my opinion. Yeah, they can be applied to a relative stockpile of others, and that's where Lowkey falls. He's just "there," he doesn't do anything.

Also, why even ask for explanation on an opinion if you're not going to consider it, care about it, or debate it?
Because i don't feel strongly enough about the artist to come up with a debate, but i DO care about why you have your opinion. In matters of subjective nature such as the merit of an artist, the opinion is not what is important but the support you can provide for said opinion. I don't feel like finding examples of good lyricism, flow, or appealing vocals, so i wont take up an argument. You said it was bland, and later you explained that he fails because his flow is stiff etc etc. That is the evidence to your claim i was looking for, no more, no less.
dark shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:26 AM   #17 (permalink)
On A Rampage
 
Captain Awesome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 316
Default

Even if it's been done before he's doing it better than most. You're quick to defend gangster rap yet lowkey is repetitive? give me a break. Of coruse he's going to be unhappy with the way rap music is. Because it sucks. It's ignorant music made for ignorant people. I for one support everthing lowkey says about rap.


You obviously listened to like what? ONE song. He has like 2 songs talking about the state of hiphop(on his album). And about 5 or 6 in total. Seriously talk about judgemental. How about you actually listen to a range of his music before judging him on one track, can anyone say narrowminded? Your exactly the kind of person he's ripping apart, no wonder you dislike it.

"america is capitalism on steroids" the guy speaks the truth about rap and everything else. Don't like it? Tough ****. He's not going anywhere.



















rapper who spends his time protesting to help change this crappy world, or rapper who spends his time going to parties, taking drugs and sleeping with whores. I know who i prefer.


__________________

"If we're all merely players in a play on this great stage,
the problem is the script writers ain't on the same page,
I echo through the mountain when I'm singing in the air,
from my lab a lad with lavish lyrics living in his lair."



"Wake up and listen, hear what's not for the public's ears
Pinocchio poets played by profiting puppeteers"
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:35 AM   #18 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 746
Default

I listened to all the tracks that you posted in your first post.

There's a difference between defending an entire subgenre of music against one way to approach it. I never said all gangsta rap was good, and I can't name very many current gangsta rappers. But I do recognize that it doesn't need to be ABOLISHED. Nothing does, not even "rap is bad." However, it can be approached in different ways, and not said the same way over and over and over and over.

No, he's not doing it better than most. It's the same thing. Like I said about the other aspects of the music: pansy, stiff flow, and generic FL Studio-sounding beats.

Rap doesn't suck. Rap's current condition is fine. Yeah, the mainstream has plenty of annoying candy rappers, but they don't encompass all of modern rap.

Right, you present us with videos so we can check out the artist. Then, when someone disagrees, they're stupid, "judgmental, narrowminded trolls." Give ME a fucking break. Every time I've come across you on the board where there's been disagreement, you act like a vagina. It's just disagreement. Chill the fuck out. I haven't even disrespected.

If anyone here is judgmental, it's you. Do you not remember when I defended rap when I said anyone can rap about what they want, what's important is that they have an interesting approach to the idea, and YOU began ranting about how I should just "stick to Lil' Wayne and my other stupid gangsta rappers?" when you don't even know what I really listen to? Right. I'm judgmental.
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:03 AM   #19 (permalink)
On A Rampage
 
Captain Awesome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post

No, he's not doing it better than most. It's the same thing. Like I said about the other aspects of the music: pansy, stiff flow, and generic FL Studio-sounding beats.
LOL i disagree with everything you said. He flows better than most and his beats are good (although not the best). and by pansy what do you mean? pansy here means you're not tough. Please don't tell me that's what you're talking about.

Lowkey > the entire mainstream, bar none.

As a song writer he surpasses most.

I just prefer artists who are either one of two things

1. Great lyrically and entertaining (strong punchlines, creative wordplay etc).

2. Have a message or story that they convey and deliver extremely well.

Lowkey is the second. Rappers like Stig are the first. People like Pez, Bliss n Eso, are a mix of both.

Rhyming about how cool you are and how gangster you are while trying to pass it off as actual fact just makes you look like an idiot. There's plenty of gangster rappers but there's no such thing as a gangster who raps.

You find lowkey generic and boring despite the fact there isn't a single rapper out there right now who can do what he's doing on the same level. This is an educated political activist, playwright and poet who doesn't exagerrate and doesn't pretend to be something he is not.

Judging a RAPPER on their beats? seriously what has this culture came to when a lyricist is judged on his producers ability?

Like lowkey himself said;

"Yeah it might sound better when they spit it out but would it mean anything written down?"

**** you and your closed minded opinion.
__________________

"If we're all merely players in a play on this great stage,
the problem is the script writers ain't on the same page,
I echo through the mountain when I'm singing in the air,
from my lab a lad with lavish lyrics living in his lair."



"Wake up and listen, hear what's not for the public's ears
Pinocchio poets played by profiting puppeteers"
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:09 PM   #20 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 746
Default

Right, with the insults. That's cool.

How does he flow better than most? His flow isn't diverse at all. Yeah, his flow is pansyish because he sounds unnatural and nervous on the beat. He doesn't sound confident in himself. He sounds like an amateur Myspace rapper.

Someone asked me about the music in its entirety, so of course I mentioned the beats. I didn't say, "ho ho, he sucks because the beat is bad." Christ.

His message is so old, his ideas are so outdated.

Why are you even bringing up gangsta rap AGAIN?

Okay, go ahead and try to explain how I've been close-minded at all. YOU are the one who shuns an entire subgenre and have no open-mindedness towards it.

By the way, friend, I don't appreciate the ad hominem attacks.
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



2014 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.