Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Rock & Metal > Rock N Roll, Classic Rock & 60s Rock
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

View Poll Results: Worst of these late 70's bands
Styx 11 32.35%
Journey 6 17.65%
Boston 5 14.71%
Kansas 7 20.59%
Foreigner 5 14.71%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2012, 07:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
cgw
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 51
Default Worst Late 70's Band

Worst of these bands:
Kansas
Journey
Boston
Styx
Foreigner

Journey's singer turns my stomach and I have a certain nostalgia for Grand Illusion era Styx. But if I look at it rationally I would say Styx is the worst.
Boston is the best of the group and Foreigner is not half bad.
cgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Live by the Sword
 
Howard the Duck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posts: 9,069
Default

The Sex Pistols
__________________


Malaise is THE dominant human predilection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Virgin View Post
what? i don't understand you. farming is for vegetables, not for meat. if ou disagree with a farming practice, you disagree on a vegetable. unless you have a different definition of farming.
Howard the Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Shart in the Name of Love
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 19,302
Default

I guess I'll go with Foreigner since they're the only band on the list that doesn't have at least one standout song for me.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Rock N' Roll Clown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bulgaria
Posts: 169
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard the Duck View Post
The Sex Pistols
YEAH!!

And among the bands you've listed, I'd say Kansas, because they haven't got anything else except "Dust in the wind" (which is very good though).
__________________
Rock N' Roll Clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Horribly Creative
 
Unknown Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London, The Big Smoke
Posts: 7,164
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgw View Post
Worst of these bands:
Kansas
Journey
Boston
Styx
Foreigner

Journey's singer turns my stomach and I have a certain nostalgia for Grand Illusion era Styx. But if I look at it rationally I would say Styx is the worst.
Boston is the best of the group and Foreigner is not half bad.


I actually think Styx to be one of the best bands in the history of rock. Huge fan of Journey, Boston and Kansas. Not crazy on Foreigner though but they do have some good albums.

I'm guessing that you Mr.Thread Starter are at the complete opposite of the musical spectrum to me in what's considered good and bad, but I do see that you're a Doors and Aerosmith fan.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by eraser.time206 View Post
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History

Last edited by Unknown Soldier; 09-19-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Unknown Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
cgw
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 51
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post


I actually think Styx to be one of the best bands in the history of rock. Huge fan of Journey, Boston and Kansas. Not crazy on Foreigner though but they do have some good albums.

I'm guessing that you Mr.Thread Starter are at the complete opposite of the musical spectrum to me in what's considered good and bad, but I do see that you're a Doors and Aerosmith fan.
A safe guess. However I am a Cheap Trick fan.
cgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Groupie
 
ncorder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 11
Default

Yeah! Cheap Trick!
ncorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
☮ ♥ ♫ ∞
 
Neapolitan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,402
Default

I don't dislike any of those bands so I can't pick a worst... even for shizengiggles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post


I actually think Styx to be one of the best bands in the history of rock. Huge fan of Journey, Boston and Kansas. Not crazy on Foreigner though but they do have some good albums.

I'm guessing that you Mr.Thread Starter are at the complete opposite of the musical spectrum to me in what's considered good and bad, but I do see that you're a Doors and Aerosmith fan.
I like Foreigner simply becuase their sound was odd and different. They were unlike most bands I like like the powerhouse bands of the early 70s like Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin and not New Wave enough like The Cars. It's like they had a little drop of New Wave and Power Pop influence in their music - which was the thing during the time, but weren't part of those so it was odd what sub-genre of Rock they belong.
__________________

I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous. - Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Horribly Creative
 
Unknown Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London, The Big Smoke
Posts: 7,164
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock N' Roll Clown View Post
And among the bands you've listed, I'd say Kansas, because they haven't got anything else except "Dust in the wind" (which is very good though).
Just because that was the only thing that sold in Bulgaria, no need to knock their rest of the output.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
I don't dislike any of those bands so I can't pick a worst... even for shizengiggles.

I like Foreigner simply becuase their sound was odd and different. They were unlike most bands I like like the powerhouse bands of the early 70s like Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin and not New Wave enough like The Cars. It's like they had a little drop of New Wave and Power Pop influence in their music - which was the thing during the time, but weren't part of those so it was odd what sub-genre of Rock they belong.
Foreigner were different because they were an AOR band that had a heavier edge to them and were rougher around the edges. They were geared up to selling millions of albums and had a great vocalist in Lou Gramm but I don't think they had the depth of a lot of their counterparts.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by eraser.time206 View Post
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Live by the Sword
 
Howard the Duck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posts: 9,069
Default

i voted "Kansas"

Leftoverture makes me wanna butcher and eat my neighbour's dog
__________________


Malaise is THE dominant human predilection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Virgin View Post
what? i don't understand you. farming is for vegetables, not for meat. if ou disagree with a farming practice, you disagree on a vegetable. unless you have a different definition of farming.
Howard the Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2014 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.