Music Banter - View Single Post - Born in the wrong generation
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2011, 11:43 AM   #203 (permalink)
TockTockTock
They/Them

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
oh I'm pretty sure some people hate the mainstream for being sellouts and playing for the dollar as well. I agree with you about not favor one over the other. I'm heavily into listening to so much music that sometimes yes I will listen to crappy/bad music that just in turn happens to be mainstream as well. I just really hate how people go from "oh it's mainstream." to meaning that "well if it's popular and mainstream that automatically means that it is terribad". That type of elitism that I find here on the forums is just straight up stupid imo. You claim to be open minded to music but then you turn around and shut out all artists that are mainstream.
Most people don't like mainstream because it's played a lot on the radio. When certain music receives as much air time as mainstream artists do, then it gets boring after a while. So, people dive deeper down into music to find musicians who aren't quite as recognized as mainstream ones are. Is mainstream bad? No, that's just idiotic and nonsensical to to label a vast set of music as horrible (or "terribad" in your case - great word). Do I like it? Not really. I like old mainstream stuff, but very little new. I remember finding "Viva la Vida" to be a good song and then the radio play it over and over again to the point where I now hate it.
TockTockTock is offline   Reply With Quote