Music Banter - View Single Post - Music: Can it have a universal understanding?
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2011, 10:28 PM   #24 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
The simple answer is no, it isn't. Academic studies regarding this exact subject have been performed and peer reviewed adequately enough to form a basis of evidence... I'm sure you'll all want to discuss it further, but the fact is, people with far more money, time, resources, and experience than any of us have successfully proven this theory to be incorrect.
That is the same exact answer I get from my friend when I tell him things I've heard on the History Channel, like German scientist developing flying saucers during WWII etc. etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
The only consistent cross-cultural reaction to music is that slow music and fast music provoke calm and agitated reactions respectively. There has been absolutely no evidence uncovered of any kind that other styles of music evoke similar feeligns on a broadly cross-cultural level.
Well, how far apart must the cultures be, American and Russian, or maybe like Western & Asian. I'm sure if something that sounds melancholy in music to a Russian would be to an American too, no? Does the Shakuhachi create the same kind of suspense when use in a score in a movie for a Japanese person as it would for a non-Japanese person?

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote