Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2011, 10:00 PM   #21 (permalink)
.
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4,507
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWolf View Post
..... dude ... seriously.
If that is how you think then I seriously am not going to argue with you. You may proceed to live in your own little world there.
Besides, you missed the entire point of what I said. I just agreed with what you said and you jump down my throat like I just blasphemed against everything logical. I might not live in America but I know enough about it to know that you are brought up being 'politically correct'. However, I have lived in Africa most of my life and the general attitude of it is as I said. Really in the end you are making a fuss out of nothing.
It's alright. Most people who've lived in America their entires lives don't know anything about it either.

(zing)
someonecompletelyrandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:02 PM   #22 (permalink)
.
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4,507
Default

P.S. I get the gist of what you're saying, PurpleWolf, I'm still working on how it relates to this thread though
someonecompletelyrandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:48 PM   #23 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 9,252
Default

Alright well thanks everybody.

So music has no inherent plot because black people in africa, who come to america, cannot be called "******."

Cool.
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:28 PM   #24 (permalink)
ComputerHabenHerzschmerz
 
Neapolitan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Les Barricades Mystérieuses
Posts: 6,327
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
The simple answer is no, it isn't. Academic studies regarding this exact subject have been performed and peer reviewed adequately enough to form a basis of evidence... I'm sure you'll all want to discuss it further, but the fact is, people with far more money, time, resources, and experience than any of us have successfully proven this theory to be incorrect.
That is the same exact answer I get from my friend when I tell him things I've heard on the History Channel, like German scientist developing flying saucers during WWII etc. etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
The only consistent cross-cultural reaction to music is that slow music and fast music provoke calm and agitated reactions respectively. There has been absolutely no evidence uncovered of any kind that other styles of music evoke similar feeligns on a broadly cross-cultural level.
Well, how far apart must the cultures be, American and Russian, or maybe like Western & Asian. I'm sure if something that sounds melancholy in music to a Russian would be to an American too, no? Does the Shakuhachi create the same kind of suspense when use in a score in a movie for a Japanese person as it would for a non-Japanese person?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhanteimi View Post
Actually, I like you a lot, Nea. That's why I treat you like ****. It's the MB way.

"it counts in our hearts" - ʕººʔ
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” ― Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” – Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." - John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." — Keith Richards ☮ 💖 ♫ ∞ ἰχθύς
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:30 AM   #25 (permalink)
Groupie
 
PurpleWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 42
Default

Janszoon said that it was partly related to their culture.
I agreed and gave an example about how two different people can have two different views on the same topic when they grow up through different cultures.
PurpleWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:37 AM   #26 (permalink)
Registered Jimmy Rustler
 
Dr_Rez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 5,187
Default

What exactly is meant when you say Universal Understanding? I mean if its that vague then yes and no. Take 10 people and listen to Cannibal Corpse and I bet you they all feel a little angry. Take those same people and play them some Jimi and they will probably all want to dance and smoke some weed. Now they are all feeling anger, pleasure, and different urges but for different reasons based on culture and upbringing. So depending on how you define understand the answer is always going to be different.

Studies have been done with people whom have never heard western music. They asked them how certain songs made them feel, and there answers were very similar to the average American citizen.
__________________
*Best chance of losing virginity is in prison crew*
*Always Checks Credentials Crew*
*nba > nfl crew*
*Shave one of my legs to pretend its a girl in my bed crew*
*Flakes on Dates to go Hoop crew*

Power: Yamaha Rx-v363
Speakers:2 Boston Acoustics A100's, 2 Pioneer HPM-60's
Headphones: Audio Technica M50, Sony MDR-XB500
Dr_Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:54 AM   #27 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWolf View Post
Janszoon said that it was partly related to their culture.
I agreed and gave an example about how two different people can have two different views on the same topic when they grow up through different cultures.
Oh, so in addition to making a bizarre and not particularly relevant comparison you also misunderstood my comment. Got it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:53 PM   #28 (permalink)
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!
 
GuitarBizarre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,633
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWolf View Post
..... dude ... seriously.
If that is how you think then I seriously am not going to argue with you. You may proceed to live in your own little world there.
Besides, you missed the entire point of what I said. I just agreed with what you said and you jump down my throat like I just blasphemed against everything logical. I might not live in America but I know enough about it to know that you are brought up being 'politically correct'. However, I have lived in Africa most of my life and the general attitude of it is as I said. Really in the end you are making a fuss out of nothing.
I somehow doubt you are capable of speaking for the general attitude of an ENTIRE CONTINENT.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
As for me, my inbox is as of yet testicle-free, and hopefully remains that way. Don't the rest of you get any ideas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:59 PM   #29 (permalink)
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!
 
GuitarBizarre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,633
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
That is the same exact answer I get from my friend when I tell him things I've heard on the History Channel, like German scientist developing flying saucers during WWII etc. etc.
Well thats to be expected. One medium is for entertainment and the other is entirely academic. I'm just saying that the premise of the thread is interesting, but has been explored in depth by others who have come to some remarkably solid conclusions, backed up by research eveidence.

Your second comment is an undefined factor, but I have a hard time comprehending how on earth we'd even begin to test that.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
As for me, my inbox is as of yet testicle-free, and hopefully remains that way. Don't the rest of you get any ideas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:55 PM   #30 (permalink)
ComputerHabenHerzschmerz
 
Neapolitan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Les Barricades Mystérieuses
Posts: 6,327
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
Well thats to be expected. One medium is for entertainment and the other is entirely academic. I'm just saying that the premise of the thread is interesting, but has been explored in depth by others who have come to some remarkably solid conclusions, backed up by research eveidence.
And what proof do you have that the History Channel is for purely entertainment purposes only?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
Your second comment is an undefined factor, but I have a hard time comprehending how on earth we'd even begin to test that.
I was not asking you to begin a test, I was hoping you would rely on people with far more money, time, resources, and experience than any of us have.

I don't totally disagree with you, that someone from an entirely different culture would not (might not) relate to a musical passage (for example) happy or sad, whimsical or serious, etc etc. Because I believe some of those things are conditional. Say that every time you watched a movie as a kid when you heard motif that used tubas and kettle drums you would see an elephant walk by, fast-forward as adult you heard the same motif and was asked what does that sound like you mostly likely respond "an elephant." But if you played the same motif to someone else in another country who didn't have the chance to watch movies you've seen, you would probably not get the same answer, maybe he had a similar experience with a different movie and employed a similar motif.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhanteimi View Post
Actually, I like you a lot, Nea. That's why I treat you like ****. It's the MB way.

"it counts in our hearts" - ʕººʔ
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” ― Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” – Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." - John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." — Keith Richards ☮ 💖 ♫ ∞ ἰχθύς
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.