Music Banter - View Single Post - Music: Can it have a universal understanding?
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2011, 07:55 PM   #30 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
Well thats to be expected. One medium is for entertainment and the other is entirely academic. I'm just saying that the premise of the thread is interesting, but has been explored in depth by others who have come to some remarkably solid conclusions, backed up by research eveidence.
And what proof do you have that the History Channel is for purely entertainment purposes only?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
Your second comment is an undefined factor, but I have a hard time comprehending how on earth we'd even begin to test that.
I was not asking you to begin a test, I was hoping you would rely on people with far more money, time, resources, and experience than any of us have.

I don't totally disagree with you, that someone from an entirely different culture would not (might not) relate to a musical passage (for example) happy or sad, whimsical or serious, etc etc. Because I believe some of those things are conditional. Say that every time you watched a movie as a kid when you heard motif that used tubas and kettle drums you would see an elephant walk by, fast-forward as adult you heard the same motif and was asked what does that sound like you mostly likely respond "an elephant." But if you played the same motif to someone else in another country who didn't have the chance to watch movies you've seen, you would probably not get the same answer, maybe he had a similar experience with a different movie and employed a similar motif.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote