Music Banter - View Single Post - What Are You Listening To Right Now? II
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2011, 10:48 AM   #2911 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Down View Post
I think the chorus flows better in German than in English. I don't know why, it just seems that way to me.

German:

Völlig losgelöst
von der Erde
Schwebt das Raumschiff
Völlig schwerelos

English:

Earth below us
Drifting, falling
Floating weightless
Calling, calling home

[FONT=Verdana]I know some German because I took it in high school. If I made the effort to become fluent in it, I could probably pick it up quickly.
I usually feel German just *sounds* better than English, so the German chorus has that going for it. I prefer the sound of the German chorus also, Burning Down.

However, the meanings are somewhat different and I prefer the English because it includes more sensory and emotional references: "Earth below us" makes me imagine those blue orb pictures of Earth, and "calling, calling home" implies sadness at the distance and a yearning to return.

The German just says: "The space ship, fully weightless, floats completely detached from the earth," which seems rather dry.
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote