Music Banter - View Single Post - Classical influences in modern genres...
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2011, 10:51 AM   #21 (permalink)
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra
\/ GOD

Classical may be my personal favorite form of music. Most the music I like is classically influenced, and there's probably a laundry list I could make of bands that have been influenced by classical in both Jazz, and Rock:

If you really want to look into it. Look into chamber prog, and zuehl music. It's quite possibly the most classical inspired around.(Art Zoyd, Univers Zero, Present, Magma. My personal favorite genre to pimp).

Black Metal also is a fantastic choice if you pick the later more progressive black metal bands. Black Metal artists tend to want to explore their heritage, so they include a lot of folk music in their repetoire.

Any metal I would say uses a lot of the same structural techniques of classical. I'd say if you transpose a thrash album into strings, and rewrite it to have more subtle percussion it'd be very convincingly classical. Even bands like Slayer I think are very classical-like(Hell Awaits).

Frank Zappa is a man who greatly bridged classical, and rock. Absolutely Free, Lumpy Gravy, and 200 motels are flat out rock-classical fusion albums. He also does 100% classical albums like "Yellow shark". Possibly one of the earliest influences of prog, and the introduction of classical to rock. Little known fact, Zappa actually wanted to be a classical composer before he was a rock star. He wrote full chamber compositions before he ever picked up a guitar, just couldn't get anybody to pick them up.

Paul McCartney claims to be amazingly influenced by classical music. Albeit, I sense very little in structure, and melody. John Lennon, and McCartney utilize a wide variety of classical textures.

Jazz artists mentioned before. Ornette Coleman did a chamber piece known as Forms and Sounds (Both Zappa, and Ornette have transposed pieces of Rite of Spring into their work). Sun Ra has covered Rachmaninov, and done many albums bridging on classical(Strange Strings, for example). I think if I remember right Thelonious Monk also claimed a ton of classical influence. Then again, as mentioned above, I don't think modern avant-garde classical would be possibly without Jazz's time signature shifting experimental forms.

Many rock bands, Metallica, Deep Purple, etc. played with classical. Prog of course as King Crimson fuses a lot of symphonic pieces. Yes also popularly does. A ton of 80s rock bands from Extreme to Dio utilize some classical influence.

Really, Classical imo is a genre that can't be ignored. It's the only genre that by definition has centuries, and centuries of development pretty much absorbing worldwide influence from every ethnic group, culture, and location. It's scope is infinitely broad, and anybody who avoids it is really sort of hurting themselves by not getting the fullest out of the music world.
Terence Hill, as recently confirmed during an interview to an Italian TV talk-show, was offered the role but rejected it because he considered it "too violent". Dustin Hoffman and John Travolta declined the role for the same reason. When Al Pacino was considered for the role of John Rambo, he turned it down when his request that Rambo be more of a madman was rejected.
Al Pacino = God
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra is offline   Reply With Quote