Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Classical
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2011, 11:51 AM   #21 (permalink)
\/ GOD
 
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Nowhere...
Posts: 2,161
Default

Classical may be my personal favorite form of music. Most the music I like is classically influenced, and there's probably a laundry list I could make of bands that have been influenced by classical in both Jazz, and Rock:

If you really want to look into it. Look into chamber prog, and zuehl music. It's quite possibly the most classical inspired around.(Art Zoyd, Univers Zero, Present, Magma. My personal favorite genre to pimp).

Black Metal also is a fantastic choice if you pick the later more progressive black metal bands. Black Metal artists tend to want to explore their heritage, so they include a lot of folk music in their repetoire.

Any metal I would say uses a lot of the same structural techniques of classical. I'd say if you transpose a thrash album into strings, and rewrite it to have more subtle percussion it'd be very convincingly classical. Even bands like Slayer I think are very classical-like(Hell Awaits).

Frank Zappa is a man who greatly bridged classical, and rock. Absolutely Free, Lumpy Gravy, and 200 motels are flat out rock-classical fusion albums. He also does 100% classical albums like "Yellow shark". Possibly one of the earliest influences of prog, and the introduction of classical to rock. Little known fact, Zappa actually wanted to be a classical composer before he was a rock star. He wrote full chamber compositions before he ever picked up a guitar, just couldn't get anybody to pick them up.

Paul McCartney claims to be amazingly influenced by classical music. Albeit, I sense very little in structure, and melody. John Lennon, and McCartney utilize a wide variety of classical textures.

Jazz artists mentioned before. Ornette Coleman did a chamber piece known as Forms and Sounds (Both Zappa, and Ornette have transposed pieces of Rite of Spring into their work). Sun Ra has covered Rachmaninov, and done many albums bridging on classical(Strange Strings, for example). I think if I remember right Thelonious Monk also claimed a ton of classical influence. Then again, as mentioned above, I don't think modern avant-garde classical would be possibly without Jazz's time signature shifting experimental forms.

Many rock bands, Metallica, Deep Purple, etc. played with classical. Prog of course as King Crimson fuses a lot of symphonic pieces. Yes also popularly does. A ton of 80s rock bands from Extreme to Dio utilize some classical influence.

Really, Classical imo is a genre that can't be ignored. It's the only genre that by definition has centuries, and centuries of development pretty much absorbing worldwide influence from every ethnic group, culture, and location. It's scope is infinitely broad, and anybody who avoids it is really sort of hurting themselves by not getting the fullest out of the music world.
__________________
Quote:
Terence Hill, as recently confirmed during an interview to an Italian TV talk-show, was offered the role but rejected it because he considered it "too violent". Dustin Hoffman and John Travolta declined the role for the same reason. When Al Pacino was considered for the role of John Rambo, he turned it down when his request that Rambo be more of a madman was rejected.
Al Pacino = God
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:22 PM   #22 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Mr November's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Halifax, Canada
Posts: 429
Default

I don't really have anything to say, but I can show you something:



He was raised to play classical music. I don't think you could call this classical music. But without a doubt it is heavily influenced by classical music. And this is from an album released in 2010. It's not exactly a mainstream sound, but it counts as modern.
Mr November is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 01:24 AM   #23 (permalink)
Moo
Groupie
 
Moo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chi-town
Posts: 31
Default

Sometimes I like to theorize that classical music has greatly influenced all genres coming after it, some more apparent than others. :P

If we are talking apparent enough that its actually used in modern music I love Jedi Mind Tricks- Animal Rap

Rapping over classical music is all win.
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 07:45 AM   #24 (permalink)
\/ GOD
 
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Nowhere...
Posts: 2,161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
Sometimes I like to theorize that classical music has greatly influenced all genres coming after it, some more apparent than others. :P

If we are talking apparent enough that its actually used in modern music I love Jedi Mind Tricks- Animal Rap

Rapping over classical music is all win.
Well, seeing as classical is a vague envelope genre for literally thousands of types of music from all over the world, than it's not too hard to imagine.

Albeit, Persian, Indian, Arabian, African, etc. has equal influence on modern music as Classical which is usually a blanket term for something developed by Russian, or European means.
__________________
Quote:
Terence Hill, as recently confirmed during an interview to an Italian TV talk-show, was offered the role but rejected it because he considered it "too violent". Dustin Hoffman and John Travolta declined the role for the same reason. When Al Pacino was considered for the role of John Rambo, he turned it down when his request that Rambo be more of a madman was rejected.
Al Pacino = God
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:13 AM   #25 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 936
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaligojurah View Post
Well, seeing as classical is a vague envelope genre for literally thousands of types of music from all over the world, than it's not too hard to imagine.

Albeit, Persian, Indian, Arabian, African, etc. has equal influence on modern music as Classical which is usually a blanket term for something developed by Russian, or European means.
Western style popular music (and by extension perhaps classical too) has had the biggest influence around the world I would say. Not that that means there hasn't been some very good music from elsewhere in other styles just that it hasn't had the political / economic power behind it that maybe western music has had.
starrynight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:19 PM   #26 (permalink)
**** Steve Harvey
 
mannny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: MASS
Posts: 423
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaligojurah View Post
Well, seeing as classical is a vague envelope genre for literally thousands of types of music from all over the world, than it's not too hard to imagine.
This is so true. It really annoys me sometimes when people would group composers like Bach and Stravinksy in the same genre of "classical music".
__________________
mannny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 02:33 PM   #27 (permalink)
\/ GOD
 
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Nowhere...
Posts: 2,161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrynight View Post
Western style popular music (and by extension perhaps classical too) has had the biggest influence around the world I would say. Not that that means there hasn't been some very good music from elsewhere in other styles just that it hasn't had the political / economic power behind it that maybe western music has had.
Yes, but pure Western music gets boring as all **** when not fused with elements of other origins.
__________________
Quote:
Terence Hill, as recently confirmed during an interview to an Italian TV talk-show, was offered the role but rejected it because he considered it "too violent". Dustin Hoffman and John Travolta declined the role for the same reason. When Al Pacino was considered for the role of John Rambo, he turned it down when his request that Rambo be more of a madman was rejected.
Al Pacino = God
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:29 AM   #28 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 936
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaligojurah View Post
Yes, but pure Western music gets boring as all **** when not fused with elements of other origins.
I wouldn't go that far, but I do like to see music crossing boundaries as well.
starrynight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:37 AM   #29 (permalink)
\/ GOD
 
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Nowhere...
Posts: 2,161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrynight View Post
I wouldn't go that far, but I do like to see music crossing boundaries as well.
I would go that far. Using traditional compositional techniques makes for stale compositions. There's no reason to not cross boundaries, and define your own.
__________________
Quote:
Terence Hill, as recently confirmed during an interview to an Italian TV talk-show, was offered the role but rejected it because he considered it "too violent". Dustin Hoffman and John Travolta declined the role for the same reason. When Al Pacino was considered for the role of John Rambo, he turned it down when his request that Rambo be more of a madman was rejected.
Al Pacino = God
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:05 PM   #30 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 4
Default

john adams, if "classical," is now all over commercials, etc.

e.g., nixon in china
max4296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.