Music Banter - View Single Post - Britney Spears
Thread: Britney Spears
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2011, 02:19 PM   #253 (permalink)
Goblin Tears
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Er... I think you're really misunderstanding me and your Led Zeppelin example actually makes very little sense in the context of what I'm saying. What I'm talking about is a pretty specific style of electropop which was a bit of a fad in the very late 90s and early 00s. Shortly thereafter, Britney Spears apparently adopted a similar style in some of her songs. Looking at the timing, she's clearly not the one who started the fad.
How is my Led Zeppellin example any different from your ridiculous assertion? You basically imply that the whole genre of electropop is redundant, and anyone who employs it is ''late to the party'' Electropop actually started out in the eighties evolving from synthpop, it has found success in various means throughout each decade. Does Ladytron writing electropop songs in the noughties make them late to the party? It has never really left...however, Britney Spears was the first to combine electropop with dubstep and other influences and churn it out as a club album and market it as mainstream pop in the noughties. No other artist had done this before, and everyone in that market emulated her quickly afterwards.

Quote:
"Gimme More" was actually one of the songs that I listened to that made me think of Ladytron. Listen to the keyboard and the beat, I hear quite a bit of similarity in style there.
Do you honestly think that Gimme More sounds like any song of Ladytron's? I can't even. They are stylistically polar opposites from one another. Gimme More is club friendly, derranged, fractured vocals, dance oriented...Ladytron is forboding, much more minimal, almost nothing in common. You are really stretching things.

Quote:
Yep, that's another good example of what I was talking about when I said, "I don't tend to listen to her or people who are similar to her since the whole style of the song is very much aping something that has already come, grown old and departed among less well-known acts. I guess I feel like people like her are always very late to the party."
Actually, this song was produced by Ladytron at the request of Aguilera. That's why it sounds so much like them...and it's nothing to do with it being electropop, either. It's simply Ladytrons stylistic tendencies.
Goblin Tears is offline   Reply With Quote