Music Banter - View Single Post - Songs You Hate
Thread: Songs You Hate
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2011, 06:29 AM   #24 (permalink)
djchameleon
A.B.N.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
Yes, dj, I was hoping people could put into words what they don't like about a song. I think that sometimes the reasons for distaste are hard to pinpoint because they may have deeper, amorphous emotional causes.
Yeah, I also think that sometimes people don't have a real reason to hate it, it is one of feelings like "I just do". At times it is hard to pinpoint the reason like you said. I think a main reason may also be over exposure. That's why I try to avoid the top 40 stations as much as possible so they don't ruin songs that I like.

Quote:
I don't expect people to go THAT deep but a simple description of why they think they don't like a song would suffice. People's negative reactions to songs so far do make me wonder, though, why they are often so violent...because it is 'just music'...and yet obviously music rouses deeper emotions in us than those I'd expect in a simple critique of aesthetics. Music can get us to the state where we feel like beating something (or someone) up because of a song!! It's interesting to me that our responses to music can be so strong.
yeah, I find that interesting as well

Quote:
You make a valid point about why the critic's complaint is like chopping up an already chopped salad (as opposed to beating a dead horse). I actually don't mind the song that much...it is what it is, a happy dance song...but hip-pop isn't my thing (usually), for some of the reasons that critic points out.

I think they did wrong when they said over and over "let's do it, let's do it, let's do it do it do it..." I agree with some of what the critic mocks: floating people in the air in a video doesn't make up for unoriginality and repetitiveness in a song.

Why do the unoriginal and repetitive lyrics bother me? Maybe because I realize the Black Eyed Peas are famous and presumably wealthy for singing songs with lyrics so simple that I could have written them, if I'd wanted to, in just a few minutes. So I feel an indignant '*I*could have done that!' feeling...yet the point is I *didn't* and they *did*...and so I have to face my own fears about whether I fail to take the initiative to use my abilities as thoroughly as I could.

Whatever else they may lack aesthetically, the BEPs have confidence in themselves and they bravely state their Nike triteness of "let's do it, let's do it, let's do it do it do it." I can't help but admire their confidence, energy, and drive as musicians even as I dislike their songs.
I think one of the main reasons I like BEP is because I know how good they were in the past on the first two albums. I also like their high energy performances. They did drop the ball during the super bowl but it was still a pretty sight to see with all the extras in lights and things of that nature.

That is one thing that I never really got to hung up on is lyrics. When I hear nice lyrics that's all well and dandy but if I had bad lyrics...I don't really care depending on the other elements of the song.
Fame, fortune, power, titties. People say these are the most crucial things in life, but you can have a pocket full o' gold and it doesn't mean sh*t if you don't have someone to share that gold with. Seems simple. Yet it's an important lesson to learn. Even lone wolves run in packs sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRollah View Post
IMO I don't know jack-**** though so don't listen to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The problem is that most police officers in America are psychopaths.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You're a terrible dictionary.
djchameleon is offline   Reply With Quote