Music Banter - View Single Post - Favourite love song?
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2011, 11:33 AM   #380 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaqarbal View Post
My favourite love songs are mainly from the 80's and 90's. For instance, these two:

Uh, Zaqarbal...isn't "Every Breath You Take" by The Police actually a song about a stalker?? I always liked the song, too, when I listened to it in the 80's and so was surprised when I read what Sting had to say about it:

Quote:
Every Breath You Take by The Police Songfacts

This is one of the most misinterpreted songs ever. It is about an obsessive stalker, but it sounds like a love song. Some people even used it as their wedding song. The Police frontman Sting wrote it after separating from his first wife, Frances Tomelty.

In a 1983 interview with the New Musical Express, Sting explained: "I think it's a nasty little song, really rather evil. It's about jealousy and surveillance and ownership." Regarding the common misinterpretation of the song, he added: "I think the ambiguity is intrinsic in the song however you treat it because the words are so sadistic. On one level, it's a nice long song with the classic relative minor chords, and underneath there's this distasteful character talking about watching every move. I enjoy that ambiguity. I watched Andy Gibb singing it with some girl on TV a couple of weeks ago, very loving, and totally misinterpreting it. (Laughter) I could still hear the words, which aren't about love at all. I pissed myself laughing."
Quote:
Originally Posted by holly984 View Post
Leo Sayer- When I Need You
I agree that is a lovely song, Holly. I remember listening to it on the radio when I was a child, thinking it had a sweet but lonely sound that left me feeling kind of empty and full at the same time.

I prefer his Muppets' version though!

Leo Sayer and the Muppets - "When I Need You"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love-song View Post
my thoughts on Love...and Love songs...

...I am very Blessed to have been brought together in Love with a Wonderful Man...He has given me a Life...where before...I was only existing...He has given me a Beautiful Family...where before...I was alone...He has not only showered me with Love...but has allowed me to Love Him back...in a way that I thought impossible...for the most important aspect of Love...to me...is to be able to give it with abandon...without expectation...for in the act of giving...We receive the greatest of gifts back...

...I am a firm believer in...the kind of energy you put out in life...that is what you receive back...I focus on the positive...on Loving...and that is what is returned to me...

...the Man I Love...is physically many miles from me right now...in a place far removed from this kind of Love...I play these songs...to disappear into...they are like a portal...into a World of Love...

Love Is

You are very fortunate, Love-Song, and I imagine being separated from someone with whom you share such a deep love must by hard and bittersweet.

I disagree that the kind of energy one puts into life is what one receives back, because life guarantees neither reciprocity nor fairness. However, I agree with you on the value of focusing on the positive. Even if life isn't perfect, that philosophy can help one appreciate what *is* nice about it.

Here's a love song I think you might like, especially since your man is separated from you far removed from the comfort of being with each other in person. I hope you'll like it. The song is by a MusicBanter member and I think you'll like its message and story very much, since it sounds like it could be about YOU!

Bryan Podwys - "Saving all my Somedays"

If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"

Last edited by VEGANGELICA; 03-20-2011 at 05:45 PM.
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote