Music Banter - View Single Post - Foreign languages
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2011, 03:54 PM   #16 (permalink)
adidasss
Slavic gay sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankrsta View Post

As for the real foreign languages, I speak, write and read in English. That's the only language outside my own that I'm really comfortable with, even to the point that after a considerable time spent in reading English or writing, I would begin to think in English, if that makes sense. Sometimes, when I try to verbally express something, an English word would come to my mind before Serbian. Crazy.
tsnot crazy, it's being bilingual.
Quote:
But I was never so comfortable with speaking French without thinking first. And since I always compared it to my knowledge of English, I was never satisfied.
Gah, that's my problem. I always felt I knew English very well without really having to try (I never paid attention to grammar in class, it always came by ear). And now that I'm actually having to work on learning a new language it seems like a freakin' bitch. Especially because I don't want to just learn the basics, I want to be as good at it as I am with English and I'm not sure if that's possible given that no other language is so dominant and ubiquitous these days. Spanish is the only one that comes close, at least in these parts.

In order to become really proficient in a new language I think it's essential to immerse yourself in the culture of that language. But unless you actually move to that country, it's very very difficult.

Last.fm
adidasss is offline   Reply With Quote