Music Banter - View Single Post - Aural Fixation- Gavin B.'s Music Blog
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2011, 08:02 PM   #289 (permalink)
Gavin B.
Model Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrynight View Post
My opinion definitely establishes far quicker than that. Certainly if I don't like something at first it's highly unlikely I would grow to like it at all. If I do find it interesting at first and consistent enough from start to end then in the vast majority of cases I will continue liking it to some extent.

I don't think it is all completely random. The more you hear the more good stuff you can find, then you compare the best you have heard to new music to higher the standard. The more you hear a style the more you can see where something is generic or more creative. What is random tends to be what gets famous and what doesn't, and that is often about other factors like fashion, marketing and image more than the music.

Same with me. Most albums I'll probably like hardly anything off them. But the more I hear the more goodies I find.

Rock/pop or whatever does recycle old styles but as long as the music is good I'm happy. There's plenty of variety out there which is good.
Thanks for your thoughtful response to my post. There are definitely albums that I can be completely infatuated with for a period of 4 to 8 months when suddenly it occurs to me that this group doesn't have a lot going on, aside from some bright shiny production techniques and a couple of seductive songs. It's the more complex and challenging music that often takes a longer period of incubation for me to fully appreciate. Early on I didn't quite see what the big deal with Beach House was and then one late night at around 3 am I put on Beach House's debut album and all at once, I had an epiphany & full understood why there was such a large cult of devotees to the band.

I don't care if 95% of rock music is recycled from earlier trends, each new generation offers some fresh perspective on the original idea. There definitely more good musicians around in 2011 than in 1969 or 1976; which were supposedly the two peak years of revolutionary innovation in rock music.

Last edited by Gavin B.; 03-24-2011 at 06:03 AM.
Gavin B. is offline   Reply With Quote