Music Banter - View Single Post - The Final Sound
Thread: The Final Sound
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2011, 11:16 AM   #22 (permalink)
Gavin B.
Model Worker

I love Yuck... even if they have an awful band name that made me dread a first encounter with their music. Yuck won me over, right from the raucous guitar lead-in to the album's first song, Get Away.

Yuck reminds me of the shambling guitar fuzzed, smart ass, noise pop/shoegaze bands of the '90s like Pavement, the Replacements & Dinosaur Jr. Yuck is the most self assured debut album I've heard in awhile and is bright shining light in a wasteland of mediocre album releases by big name bands in the first three musically bleak months of 2011.

Yuck makes me remember what a great decade the 90s were for music.

In hindsight, the '90s may turn out to be the most creative decade in the history of rock music. I'm still discovering unheralded bands that put out 2 or 3 first rate albums in the '90s and then vanished into thin air before anyone ever discovered they were around. The was such a plethora of aspiring bands during the '90s that many of the better bands got lost in the shuffle of the marketplace.

From my perspective, it was the music industry's prevailing $18.99 price for a compact disc in the '90s retail marketplace that deterred a lot of potential music fans from purchasing unheard albums by unknown artists.

I've gotten a second chance to listen to many lesser known '90s bands only because of the advent of relatively inexpensive digital MP3 file, which has now become the standard product of the retail music marketplace. The 99 cent digital download & the $7.99 digital MP3 album may have been the downfall of music mega-labels & the bricks & mortar retail music store, but it's the best thing that ever happened to music fans.