Music Banter - View Single Post - Regarding the future of religion
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2011, 03:59 PM   #60 (permalink)
GeddyBass2112
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian E Coleman View Post
I wish religion would die.

The truth is that we will never be able to explain everything, and even if we could, we couldn't persuade everyone to pay attention long enough to understand it.
Religion doesn't claim in any way that we WILL know everything.

Quote:
It's my hard view that religion has absolutely nothing to offer that can't be had a better way. I compare it to a drug, except one that you're looked down upon for refusing, and a drug who's users are constantly trying to dictate society. If you can't already tell, I don't like religion. If I'm dying the hospital, I'm not going to convert to any religion for infinitely small chance that I've chosen the right one let alone that there is a correct one. I'd rather live knowing and accepting reality, and allowing myself to grow fond of that reality. I have no need to confuse an already over complicated world with religion.

Religion has some incredibly good messages for humanity. And also, there are several religious belief systems where it doesn't matter whether you're a believer or not. Buddhism in one, deism another, and also (interestingly) Judaism also. In the case of Judaism, anyone who is righteous, Jew or not, has a share in the World to Come.

I'm personally a deist, and I believe that any God capable of creating a race of poeple isn't going to let some be roasted in hell for all eternity simply for not believing in some petty rules.
GeddyBass2112 is offline   Reply With Quote