Regarding the future of religion - Music Banter Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2011, 12:11 PM   #51 (permalink)
Registered Abuser
 
Wayfarer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 570
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
If you sodomize children, murder them, and bury them in your back yard, does it really matter whether or not you volunteer at the local homeless shelter?
Beats the hell out of sodomizing children, murdering them and burying them in your backyard and then just sitting around eating Cheez-Its.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:19 PM   #52 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,158
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post
Beats the hell out of sodomizing children, murdering them and burying them in your backyard and then just sitting around eating Cheez-Its.
Tell that to the workers at the Cheez-It factory.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 01:23 PM   #53 (permalink)
Live by the Sword
 
Howard the Duck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posts: 9,039
Default

no future, noooooo fuchure for youuuuuuuuuuuuu
Howard the Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 02:38 PM   #54 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
GeddyBass2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Posts: 165
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVCA View Post
For a large portion of the last two centuries, people have been predicting the demise of religion and the death of the supernatural. As science and technology slowly chip away at the unknown and explain the unexplained, one might conclude that religion is on its way out; that the future will have no room for dogma and superstition.

What do you believe the future has in store for religion? Personally, I'm tempted to believe that all the doomsayers are simplifying the issue when they say that "science is killing religion". While science can increasingly expound truths that traditionally lay within the realm of religion, I do believe that humans, to an extent, are "hardwired" for the supernatural. I'm no anthropologist, but it seems that all major cultures across the globe, at every time in history, believe(d) in some form of the supernatural, be it theism, spirituality, metaphysics, or anything else not directly observable, testable, and replicable.

That being said, I'm tempted to believe there is some kind of benefit, as a society or a culture, evolutionarily speaking, to holding supernatural beliefs. What this benefit is, I have not yet thought hard enough or conducted enough research to articulate and explain, but I am convinced it exists.

In the end, I do not think religion will vanish, or even become a minority trend, at any time in the near future. I think it will continue to exist throughout my lifespan and well after my death.
With regard to this, I'd argue that the opposite (to some degree) is the truth. Religious fanaticism is very much alive and well, possibly more so than in past times.

For example, 50 years ago the Creationist movement didn't exist in anything like the present form it takes now in organisations like Answers In Genesis, with its multi-million dollar ministry and Creation Museum. No Tea Party either (although this is a poliitical organisation, much of its membership is made up of conservative middle-class Christians).

Even here in the UK, there seems to be a religious battle of sorts, with many examples. One is the proposed academies system of schooling, where a private company could sponsor a school and help in running it for a say in what is taught. Inevitably, this has led to several fundamentalist religious groups (mostly Christian) proposing their own bids for their own faith-ran schools, which could then teach Creationism. Infact, one school here has been criticized for teaching Creation Science as a 'viable alternative to evolution'. This is something that even 20 years ago would be unthinkable.

(I must admit that the two examples above are both to do with Creationism, but that's not the only issue).

But to answer the OP fully, I can understand the role religion plays in the history of humanity, and I believe that rather than disappearing, it will simply morph into something else which fits in with the society of the time. It may not necessarily be that there is any concept of 'God' in these religions either, just as the ideas behind Buhddism and Shinto have no real concept of God. It may be that the future religion relies more on critical thinking and philosophical thinking that dogma and theology.
GeddyBass2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:02 PM   #55 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
[MERIT]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 4,811
Default

Has anyone else heard of the (or subscribe to) the theory of Ancient Aliens/Astronauts?

Ancient astronauts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Very Interesting. If (as theorized) all of the "Gods" of our religions were actually extraterrestials, it still begs the question of THEIR creation and how they came into existance.
[MERIT] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:03 PM   #56 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Mr November's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Halifax, Canada
Posts: 429
Default

I wish religion would die.

The truth is that we will never be able to explain everything, and even if we could, we couldn't persuade everyone to pay attention long enough to understand it.

It's my hard view that religion has absolutely nothing to offer that can't be had a better way. I compare it to a drug, except one that you're looked down upon for refusing, and a drug who's users are constantly trying to dictate society. If you can't already tell, I don't like religion. If I'm dying the hospital, I'm not going to convert to any religion for infinitely small chance that I've chosen the right one let alone that there is a correct one. I'd rather live knowing and accepting reality, and allowing myself to grow fond of that reality. I have no need to confuse an already over complicated world with religion.
Mr November is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 02:05 AM   #57 (permalink)
Live by the Sword
 
Howard the Duck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posts: 9,039
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oojay View Post
Has anyone else heard of the (or subscribe to) the theory of Ancient Aliens/Astronauts?

Ancient astronauts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Very Interesting. If (as theorized) all of the "Gods" of our religions were actually extraterrestials, it still begs the question of THEIR creation and how they came into existance.
I actually subscribe to this more:-

Cthulhu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Howard the Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 05:39 AM   #58 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,158
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oojay View Post
Has anyone else heard of the (or subscribe to) the theory of Ancient Aliens/Astronauts?

Ancient astronauts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Very Interesting. If (as theorized) all of the "Gods" of our religions were actually extraterrestials, it still begs the question of THEIR creation and how they came into existance.
I'm familiar with it but it doesn't strike me as particularly likely.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:36 AM   #59 (permalink)
( ̄ー ̄)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Duce View Post
I actually subscribe to this more:-

Cthulhu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Both of those theories are enticing, but ultimately, there is only one true God.

Flying Spaghetti Monster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
RVCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:59 PM   #60 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
GeddyBass2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Posts: 165
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian E Coleman View Post
I wish religion would die.

The truth is that we will never be able to explain everything, and even if we could, we couldn't persuade everyone to pay attention long enough to understand it.
Religion doesn't claim in any way that we WILL know everything.

Quote:
It's my hard view that religion has absolutely nothing to offer that can't be had a better way. I compare it to a drug, except one that you're looked down upon for refusing, and a drug who's users are constantly trying to dictate society. If you can't already tell, I don't like religion. If I'm dying the hospital, I'm not going to convert to any religion for infinitely small chance that I've chosen the right one let alone that there is a correct one. I'd rather live knowing and accepting reality, and allowing myself to grow fond of that reality. I have no need to confuse an already over complicated world with religion.

Religion has some incredibly good messages for humanity. And also, there are several religious belief systems where it doesn't matter whether you're a believer or not. Buddhism in one, deism another, and also (interestingly) Judaism also. In the case of Judaism, anyone who is righteous, Jew or not, has a share in the World to Come.

I'm personally a deist, and I believe that any God capable of creating a race of poeple isn't going to let some be roasted in hell for all eternity simply for not believing in some petty rules.
GeddyBass2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2022 Advameg, Inc.