Music Banter - View Single Post - Depression and suicide
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2011, 11:19 AM   #292 (permalink)
Dirty
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian E Coleman View Post
But if they went to war and died defending Amurika, and left a wife and kids behind, they would be patriotic heros.
What's your point here? Are you comparing suicide to dying in war? How are they similar in any way other than the result being death?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanwllCorfe View Post
You can't KNOW what he was thinking. They're not even close to being in a logical mindset. Don't forget that they kill themselves. It's pretty hard to imagine how much anguish they were feeling. And I believe my point STILL stands. Yes, he could have still helped them, but not in the way that he knew how. He had no plan B. Just imagine looking at your kid and your wife, thinking that you can't help them. You can't just say "well he should have thought THIS". That's like asking a murderer, "HEY, DID YOU EVEN THINK ABOUT THEIR FAMILY?!?!" People of sound mind don't commit suicide, obviously. And they're fully aware of what problems it will cause. So I don't think anyone can point the finger at them and say what they're doing is "selfish" because we really don't know what's going through their head. Especially one that's obviously compromised.
Your example of the fisherman and the BP oil spill is a perfect example of this kind of selfishness. Why did he kill himself? Because HE couldn't take HIS OWN guilt anymore. He knew dying wouldn't help his family and he did it anyways to get rid of HIS OWN suffering. Disregarding his family's in the process. A disgusting person.

I hate how with pretty much any disorder or disease or personal problem, everyone on MB for the most part uses that as some type of excuse for behavior. Oh, he's depressed, he can't think!!! Seriously, get a grip. Being depressed doesn't turn you into a mental retard and you still understand right from wrong. Suicide is pure selfishness at it's absolute highest level. Wanting to end YOUR suffering while knowing it will cause more suffering to others, and doing it anyways.