Music Banter - View Single Post - Depression and suicide
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2011, 03:04 PM   #365 (permalink)
GeddyBass2112
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
just because the person feels that they are alone and that no one cares about them it does affect the people that DO care about them emotionally at least. Some people can be so affected by it that it does long term psychological damage to the person.
Fair point.

Quote:
The reason why I say death is an easy way out is because the person is being bogged down with problems and issues that they think they will never be able to solve and they just want to make the pain go away. Of course that's an easier way out than dealing with your problems and working through whatever is going on in your life. I too see death differently than others. One of the main reasons I don't attend funerals. When people pass away I don't say goodbye but see you later. Whenever that later is I'm not quite sure but I feel positive about the situation and I feel like one day in the future I will see them again.

Oojay is right though- death IS a natural part of living, and it is something that nearly every single living thing on this planet will go through. It's pointless being scared or worried about it, because we were 'dead' millions of years before our death and will be so again for probably the same period of time. Richard Dawkins argues that it's like a ruler- your life marked out on some universal ruler is tiny, if not practically non-existant, and so to worry about death is pointless.

Quote:
That is not courage at all, that's just straight up being a coward and running away from your problems. That person doesn't have to flip burgers for the next 50 years if they get help and counseling. I'm sure they will be told other options and choices that they have for their life.
Speaking as someone who has three times attempted suicide, I find this completely and utterly ridiculous. People who commit suicide and succeed in doing so have taken an action which takes a hell of a lot of balls. You might not agree with that decision but taking the choice to end your life is an incredibly difficult one. It's not something you do on a whim, and most people who commit suicide KNOW there's no coming back, no changing your mind once you're hanging there/taking the pills/jumping from a great big building.

My first suicide attempt was an attempt to hang myself. I went to my garage, got the tow rope from the cupboard that I had planned to use and made the noose. All the time I knew what I was doing, I knew that if I went through with this, I would die, end of story. No going back.

Quote:
People that are depressed and have suicidal thoughts ARE brave enough to live life and push through their problems and if also seek help if they are able to muster up enough courage to do that on their own. That is what I mean by continuing life having everything to do with bravery.
I suffer from both of those and it seems that some people are so damaged by whatever it is they've been hurt by, they simply can't recover. No amount of counselling is going to put things completely right, and no amount of pills. Simply demanding that they continue to suffer is cruel on the part of people who are supposed to give a damn about that person.

I am not saying however that suicide is always the answer in these situations, but that you have to understand that getting help isn't always going to do that much good. Sometimes it's like putting a sticking plaster on a broken arm.

I'm currently going through cognitive behavioral therapy for depression, anxiety and self-harm, and although the therapy is helping, it's not a miracle cure and it's not going to cure me of all my issues. Much of what is going on in my head is so deep-rooted and has affected/damaged me so much, it's never going to go away. It's like smashing a pot- you can glue it back together but the cracks are still there, and they will always be weak.

Quote:
Yes, society as a whole demonizes is but there are so many avenues and ways to get/seek help. If you have someone that really cares about you pushing you to get help at one of these centers and you actually go along with it, it will be for the better. I know when you are depressed you push away those that care about you so it's not the easiest thing to do but it's an internal struggle within the person. Some people care about what others think about them so they don't want to get help for depression for fear of ridicule. That's also an internal struggle that the person has to deal with an overcome before they can be brave enough to take the steps to get help.
OK, yeah, getting help IS easier. But actively admitting that you need mental help is still hard, and often people are forced to hide their need for treatment like this simply because society DOES demonize it.

I've had to hide my own therapy and drug treatments away from everybody simply to avoid the stigma and ridicule which this attracts. My own FAMILY don't even know. Not one of them.