Music Banter - View Single Post - Sounds Like Bin Laden's Dead
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2011, 10:42 PM   #104 (permalink)
storymilo
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
First of all, it was more than saying "god bless america". It was a string of several Christian comments that the leader of my allegedly secular nation made at the end of his speech. I spent eight years dealing with a warmongering, fundamentalist Christian ass in the white house and voted for Obama because I wanted an alternative to that. When I see him behaving in exactly the same way as Bush it is, most definitely, a case of shitting in my face. And, honestly, do you really think that it makes any sense to end a speech which contained declarations of "we are not at war with Islam" with a bunch of Christian-themed platitudes? Sounds like a good way to undermine one's own speech to me.
I may be wrong, but all I can recall from the end of Obama's speech that relates to Christianity are the pledge of allegiance ("one nation, under god") and him saying "god bless you" and "god bless america." This isn't excessive enough to make me feel as though he's straying too far from his post as a secular leader. And I don't think including "Christian-themed platitudes" is in any way an indication that our war is against islam. Just because he is not backing down from his faith doesn't mean that he's lashing out at another.

All I'm trying to say is that his speech didn't anger me. Maybe it could have been better without the Christian parts, but I feel it was effective enough as is. At the same time, I was really young throughout most of Bush's presidency and don't have a built-in hatred towards him and all things like him.
storymilo is offline   Reply With Quote