Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2011, 11:39 PM   #101 (permalink)
Registered Abuser
 
Wayfarer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 570
Default

Breaking news! A well-known terrorist organization has killed a terrorist!
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:41 PM   #102 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Mr November's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Halifax, Canada
Posts: 429
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincaptain View Post
I just watched his speech again, he said the word "God" four times, 3 times in the last 15 seconds. Paraphrase: "No matter what god you believe in, what color your skin is." . He also "One nation, under God...", "Thank you, may God Bless you and may God bless America". His only references about religion was that it was not a war against Islam but terrorism. I don't know one President that has never say God Bless America and I didn't get any Christian overtones in that speech.
It's not about christian overtones. The reason those are in there is just because they are popular american slogans for an american president to say, and people get boners when the President says them.

It's not whether there are overtones, its whether or not its time to get rid of these outdated figures of speech and have a little bit more respect for the fact that not everyone in the USA believes in God or believes that the USA is a nation under him, or believes that if there is a God he might give a flying ****.
Mr November is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:41 PM   #103 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 9,252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVCA View Post
Yes, it's fine to feel content because a terrorist has been brought to justice (if you call murder justice), but blind, patriotic, nationalistic fervor is never a good thing
Where are you seeing that?

@Wayfarer...welcome back.
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:42 PM   #104 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
storymilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,826
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
First of all, it was more than saying "god bless america". It was a string of several Christian comments that the leader of my allegedly secular nation made at the end of his speech. I spent eight years dealing with a warmongering, fundamentalist Christian ass in the white house and voted for Obama because I wanted an alternative to that. When I see him behaving in exactly the same way as Bush it is, most definitely, a case of shitting in my face. And, honestly, do you really think that it makes any sense to end a speech which contained declarations of "we are not at war with Islam" with a bunch of Christian-themed platitudes? Sounds like a good way to undermine one's own speech to me.
I may be wrong, but all I can recall from the end of Obama's speech that relates to Christianity are the pledge of allegiance ("one nation, under god") and him saying "god bless you" and "god bless america." This isn't excessive enough to make me feel as though he's straying too far from his post as a secular leader. And I don't think including "Christian-themed platitudes" is in any way an indication that our war is against islam. Just because he is not backing down from his faith doesn't mean that he's lashing out at another.

All I'm trying to say is that his speech didn't anger me. Maybe it could have been better without the Christian parts, but I feel it was effective enough as is. At the same time, I was really young throughout most of Bush's presidency and don't have a built-in hatred towards him and all things like him.
storymilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:42 PM   #105 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincaptain View Post
I just watched his speech again, he said the word "God" four times, 3 times in the last 15 seconds. Paraphrase: "No matter what god you believe in, what color your skin is." . He also "One nation, under God...", "Thank you, may God Bless you and may God bless America". His only references about religion was that it was not a war against Islam but terrorism. I don't know one President that has never say God Bless America and I didn't get any Christian overtones in that speech.
Really now? Which god do you think he was talking about? Zeus?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:42 PM   #106 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 9,252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian E Coleman View Post
It's not about christian overtones. The reason those are in there is just because they are popular american slogans for an american president to say, and people get boners when the President says them.

It's not whether there are overtones, its whether or not its time to get rid of these outdated figures of speech and have a little bit more respect for the fact that not everyone in the USA believes in God or believes that the USA is a nation under him, or believes that if there is a God he might give a flying ****.
Alright. Here we go.

When you say that, guys like me wonder where the hell you're getting any of this? I mean there is a palpable rage coming from you about something that seems innocuous.

He said "god bless america", you flip out. Why?
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:44 PM   #107 (permalink)
Desinigga
 
CHCl3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 216
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian E Coleman View Post
I think we all know that this is just Obama and his press team trying to make the most of some good publicity for his term.

It makes no difference to me if Osama is dead to be honest. But it makes all the difference in the world that Obama has an achievement none the less one that he can rub in the republicans faces, because they couldn't get the job done. That's what this is really all about.
Donald Rumsfeld, **** Cheney, and Fox News must feel like retards now. After all of their bluster about how Republicans are tough on terrorism and Democrats were against America look at what happened.

Obama does in 2 1/2 years what the tough cowboy Bush couldn't do in 8 years.
CHCl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:44 PM   #108 (permalink)
I Am Become Death Metal
 
captaincaptain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Stankonia
Posts: 695
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Really now? Which god do you think he was talking about? Zeus?
You said their were a string of Christian comments. I was just trying to point out there were no string of comments. God Bless America is different to a Jewish person than a Hindu person, it means their specific God is blessing America, not the Christian God.
captaincaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:45 PM   #109 (permalink)
NSW
I am in your sway
 
NSW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tejas
Posts: 2,579
Default

Does this mean we don't have to take our shoes off at the airport anymore?
__________________
Formerly user nonsubmissivewife, but no longer a wife and never was submissive. Pretty sure those two things have nothing to do with each other though.
NSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:46 PM   #110 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 9,252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincaptain View Post
You said their were a string of Christian comments. I was just trying to point out there were no string of comments. God Bless America is different to a Jewish person than a Hindu person, it means their specific God is blessing America, not the Christian God.
Ya, I agree with Cpt.x2. I think theres an unreasonable level of hate toward Obama and I have no idea why. I don't think he said anything the Founders wouldn't have said.
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.