Music Banter - View Single Post - Sounds Like Bin Laden's Dead
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2011, 04:05 AM   #218 (permalink)
MoonlitSunshine
Dat's Der Bunny!

"Let us remember that we can do these things not just because of wealth or power, but because of who we are: one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

That's a phrase I could take exception to, personally, though I did like the rest of the speech. I have no problems with saying "God bless America", or even "God bless Ireland", to make it personal to me. I am happy for people to ask their god to look kindly upon my country, or indeed any country. I do however have a problem with any statement that my country would be a subject of any deity, as, being a citizen of my country, that would make me the subject of the same. I think that's the p[oint Jansz is making more than anything.

As for the subject itself: It is reassuring, in a sense, to see that they could finally track him down. It is a moral victory, but it is definitely not a tactical victory. It is telling that of all of my friends who have posted on facebook, it's the guy in the american army who has said that the death of Osama means little to him, as his friends will still be fighting and putting their lives at risk in Afghanistan. It is reason to be glad, because we know now that no matter how hard they make it, no matter how difficult it can be, we can track down anyone who masterminds the slaughter of that many people, but it is not a reason for celebration, because there is far too much still to be done, and I don't think Terrorism can ever be defeated by fighting fire with fire.

The day the Western world and the Muslim world reconcile their differences, and start moving forward to a brighter future, together, as parts of a unified whole, then I will celebrate, as that will be a victory worth shouting about.

- Arthur Dent
MoonlitSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote