Music Banter - View Single Post - Sounds Like Bin Laden's Dead
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2011, 08:32 PM   #347 (permalink)
Dirty
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paloma View Post
^ pretty much how I feel about it too.

It really kind of freaks me out to see everyone (with the exception of the 9/11 families feeling relief) celebrating this like we'd won a Super Bowl or something
The biggest threat to the United States was killed... Yeah, why would an American celebrate that!?!? In fact, why would they even be happy about it!?! It's not like he was on the FBIs 10 Most Wanted List or anything... I don't think it's unamerican to not be happy about it, I just think the Americans who aren't happy are retards.

Dayna, here's a serious question for you and I would hope that the answer would be obvious, but since it's you that I am asking I can't really be sure until I ask it. Which is more alarming to you... People celebrating the royal wedding or people celebrating Osama's death?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojopinuk View Post
Well then I disagree with you. If this is a win, iI feel it's a far smaller win than alot of the masses celebrating believe it to be.

It's the ideals he had that need eliminating. In my opinion, that's where the threat is. It isn't currently decomposing at sea. Yeah, Bin Laden is dead but threats like 9/11 haven't died with him.

I understand the attitude you seem to have, Dirty. It seems to me that if people are raising questions of ethics or morals, you don't quite see it as being as simple as your country killing a human being, but rather who that human being is. You have said yourself that you personally don't see why anyone wouldn't agree with their decision to assasinate him, and I am not actually disagreeing with you on that one.

I guess where we do differ though is that the death of the man, and just that man, is no more than a symbolic victory, to me. It's a receipt, but no more.
I just don't see where people on this forum think people are going over the top. I mean, I'm sure SOME people are (i think you might have even said that, but lemme continue) but the majority aren't. It's like people see 100 facebook statuses about Osama and say to themselves... Holy shit look at everyone over reacting to this!!! It's like... dudes, one of the dangerous men in the entire world and the biggest threat to my country was taken down. If you aren't American, then I kinda understand the shrugging and the "it's not a big deal" thing (because honestly i hardly care what happens in any other country save major catastrophes or even follow any news that happens anywhere but here) but jesus christ, if you are american and don't care about this you probably have some sort of issue. Either that or you're one of those people who deep down, although you'll never admit it, like to go against the grain of things just for the sake of it.

Ok mojo I went off track there and most of that really didn't have much to do with your post, but I will say that I agree it's not some gigantic, terror-ending victory. I think it's a little more than a symbolic victory, but I still think the symbol is important. OBL was the face of terrorism and he's gone and by finding him it shows that we will seek out and find those who wrong us like that. I know we've taken down a good number of Al Quaeda members and I'm happy as fuck about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
To me, as someone who grew up right in the middle of the IRA's bombing campaign in the U.K. the overall feeling I have towards how some Americans are reacting to this is total naivety.

So you killed one guy, well great, enjoy celebrating that. But he hadn't done anything for nearly a decade and what are you going to do now that the next guy wants to make a name for himself & the guy after him wants to make a name for himself too, and the one after him... and so on & so on.

You were better off with him hiding in some bedroom somewhere doing nothing.
Until he decides he wants to plan another attack. It's not like the guy was 100 years old. He has mocked and taunted the US for years and I think there is pretty good reason to think that he could have organized another large scale attack, especially considering he's already proven he can do it and has time and time again shown his hate for the USA. Between having him alive and letting him pass any knowledge or expertise he has to other people and possibly organizing another attack and having him dead, i'm glad he is dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by right-track View Post
Which begs a question.
If Bin Ladin was effectively inactive, why remove him?
If he was active, why remove him?

To raise the profile of a certain politician, perhaps?
There are other possible reasons which are far more sinister, but that's another story which is borderline conspiracy. Although perfectly plausible.
I'm not one of those people who dismisses conspiracies just because they are conspiracies... but cmon, to boost a politicians profile?? Sure Obama will use this as some sort of political gain or leverage come election time, as any politician would, but that's not WHY they captured Osama. Hell, I think they have been trying to get him since the Clinton years even. They've narrowly missed capturing/killing OBL for over a decade. Do you really think this is to boost Obama's profile and not to take out a seriously dangerous terrorist? We probably woulda got this guy years ago if shithead Pakistan would've given us a hand.
Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote