Music Banter - View Single Post - Sounds Like Bin Laden's Dead
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2011, 04:49 AM   #407 (permalink)
midnight rain
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonlitSunshine View Post
I believe he had to die, but I believe there is a more right way of doing it. One can and has in this thread and in other places argue that America killed hundreds of thousands of iraqis in the process of taking out Saddham Hussein, does that put America on par with Al-Qaeda? Just because it's easier to do it one way doesn't necessarily make it right.

Tuna, I think if it were in any way possible for a drone to be sent to blow the **** out of the compound, it would definitely have been considered. Fact is that it was within the airspace of the pakistani capitol, which apparently "made a drone attack impossible", which shows that it was at least considered. I'm amazed that the pakistani government haven't been more vocal about the fact that they were told literally nothing about the attack. I understand the need for secrecy, but what those SEALs did was essentially invade another country, assault a house within a few miles of a pakistani military base, execute a kill order and then move out again with the body.
I don't think the Iraq War and how the Al Qaeda go about their operations is equatable at all, aside the fact that they've both caused deaths. Circumstances are important too.

The Pakistani Government's staying quiet because they know damn well that they've been hiding Bin Laden and don't want to draw any more attention to themselves, as Dirty said.

Quote:
So basically, if it's too much effort to do the right thing, you're not bothered? Great. Secondly, OBL was nowhere near the greatest thread to the USA. He was an isolated figurehead who no longer dealt with the running of Al-Qaeda. If he had been taken out ten years ago, I'd agree, but leadership of the organisation had been passed on in all but name long ago. Killing him isn't going to make the slightest difference to their ability or organisation. Thirdly, you obviously don't think it was in any way necessary to capture him alive. That's fine, I can understand the reasoning, but don't try and make up bullshit excuses as to why it would have been impossible. I'm pretty sure SEALs are fully trained in capture missions as well as kill missions, and OBL was a sick, old politician. Not exactly the type of person renowned for their martial prowess.
It's not about effort, unless you count the loss of a highly trained SEAL as "too much effort". I think it's more about not risking the life of one of our own for someone who really doesn't deserve a life, much less having his life placed above one of the SEALs. When he's advancing toward an AK-47, I'd be shooting to kill.
midnight rain is offline   Reply With Quote