Music Banter - View Single Post - Sounds Like Bin Laden's Dead
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2011, 10:58 AM   #414 (permalink)
MoonlitSunshine
Dat's Der Bunny!

@Big3: I will always maintain hope for America (:P). I was impressed by how the Libya situation was handled, because you took an equal part in that and were clever about the way it was organised in that it didn't seem like "yet another American invasion". As I said, I have respect for almost all of the American people I have met and talked to, and I realise that every country has its fair share of idiots, but it is forever being proven that more American people seem to be in that category, proportionately, than the rest of the world. I apologise if that's being unfair, but it's just the way the country seems to the rest of the world. I'm happy, and relieved, to hear that the measures you are listing are being taken to account, it's the kind of thing that I would always hope to hear about, and it's a shame that we don't hear about it more often. I guess it just shows how I know less than I think I do, but in another way, it outlines how little of the good stuff ever reaches our ears from America, which brings me to my next point.

We get these broadcasts of people making ridiculously bigoted and self-obsessed comments, and we get broadcasts from Television Networks like Fox News which, while I realise many people think is a joke, is still on the air. We can't help having a rather negative view of a country that seems to revel, on a national scale, in its lack of knowledge and understanding of other communities. And I truly do apologise and feel sorry for those of you who don't, because you have to deal with that **** and the consequences first hand. I also apologise if I lash out with exaggerations, but sometimes it's hard not to get frustrated when some of those you are arguing with seem dead set on solidifying this negative image.

Regarding Ireland being a bunch of drunks, while it's a hah hah stereotype, we don't prove it on a daily basis (any more). Besides, I don't think that the mentality is a result of lineage, I think it's the result of Extreme Nationalism (taken far too far) and also a very healthy dose of [s]over[/s] self-confidence.

P.S: Please note that I have said "seems" a lot in the above post. I don't mean to say that this is exactly the way it is, it's just the way it looks from the outside.

@DJ: Is it your new favourite thing to just respond sarcastically to some post or comment that you feel obliged to answer, but have nothing actually interesting to say? Ireland isn't a Member of NATO, as we are a Neutral State. The Irish Army is a Peacekeeping force, which you might know if you knew more about it, which has taken part in many UN Peacekeeping missions in the past, but has never taken part in any offensive actions. This just typifies my point about assumptions, arrogance and ignorance. Congratulations.

- Arthur Dent
MoonlitSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote